Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x-Star 2001
2001 xstar plumbing from ski locker to IBS

Hi all,

Ive got a 2001 xstar with a flyhigh fat sack in the center ski locker, and a integrated bow sack that are currently plumbed in line.

The feed pump fills the locker sack, then the overflow runs out the back of the ski locker, turns 180* under the floor and runs forward, then penetrates the floor where I have marked in the left drawing with a star. This fills the IBS which overflows out the port side of the hull. It does the opposite to empty - the IBS flows into the locker sack, and the locker sack is pumped out the side via the drain port.

Now the problem I have is when it fills, it creates masses of pressure in the locker sack before flowing into the IBS, and when emptying, the IBS wont empty very well without running the boat half on the plane so the nose is up in the air. Im pretty sure the issue is air locks in the line between the two sacs due to the current route.

What Im wanting to know, is if I can drill a hole in the ski locker about half way forward (marked with a ? in the right hand drawing) so that the line can have a smooth downhill run from the IBS to the locker. Will this cause any issues at all?...... or is there a better way to achieve what Im looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Isn't your bigger problem that you're only draining one side of your IBS legs? I used to have an 02 X Star with the IBS that I filled/emptied with a Tsunami pump. When emptying, I would have to lift the opposite side of the bag to get it to empty since the front V is higher than the back two legs of the IBS bag.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
I always thought that a solution to that could be running a hose/pipe through the sac fom inlet to outlet, but obviously the hose would have to have a lot of holes to allow for filling and emptying of the sac it runs through, but it might be able to basically prevent the system from sealing itself, kind of like a drainpipe from consruction.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
I had planned on a simliar set up this season via wakemakers....have they given you any advice?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
When I had the integrated bow sac, it only had the outlet on the left side, and I always had to go lift the other side to get the water to drain. I think the newer integrated bow sacs have outlets on both legs. Here's a ww thread on adding ports to fly high bags. If you want it to drain both sides, you will need a port in each leg.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793718

My integrated bow sac was plumbed through a manual 3 way valve that switched flow from the ski locker sac to the bow sac.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x-Star 2001
My IBS has got a drain on both legs, and I will add the second drain at some stage........but having to lift the starboard leg to drain out the last dregs is not really an issue at the moment.

The problem is more the pressure it takes to move water between the bags. Because of the plumbing route, the water is having to go Down hill, then up hill then down into the bag to drain. It basically wont flow unless the boat is sitting up on its bow wave on a huge angle.

Does anyone know what is on the other side of the ski locker wall, and if I can drill a hole through it for the pipe to run. I take it there is no way to remove the floor in these boats?

Im looking to get the shortest possible hose and preferably have it running downhill all the way from the IBS to the locker bag so there is the least resistance possible.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
You can drill a hole in that part of the ski locker wall. My 2003 X2 has a hole there already. I'm pretty sure it is factory. The vent/overflow for the ski locker runs through the hole up through a hole in the floor in the area under the observer's seat and connects to a thru hull.

Here are some pics

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
On my '04 205V the air vent channels (along with some wiring) run on both sides of the ski locker compartment. Therefore, the rear half (please note REAR HALF) of the compartment only has a thin wall between the locker and the channels. As stated, MC has some factory holes already there. I added another for my ballast install.

Here are a couple links. Check out the 2nd link half way down to see what you're looking for.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448647

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1143859903
Attached Images

Last edited by P-hat_in_Cincy; 03-21-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Here's an updated link on wakeboarder.com (you probably have to log in to see pix). I have added aerators for draining (which could help your situation).

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewto...3991&start=140
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
In my 2000 I yanked the floor and added a reversible pump to my ibs. Not sure if your boat had reversible pumps. If so usually that will get all water out through one port. I was a piece of cake to add a pump. I then ran tge hose through the slots on the side of the locker that will end under the observer seat next to air flow hose. tgere is also an air hose on the driver side where all the driver console cables run as well so was able to run a hose to each port and then y it at the transom side of ski locker into a single hose to the pump. Bothe those channels run all the way through. Start the hose from under the observer seat or drivers kick panel and push it back towards the stern for the easiest results.

Hope that makes sense as I don't have access to pics.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun