Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Pretty cool project! Is this what the engine is suppose to look like?!?
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
thats just cold
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Thanks I've been wondering that, and yeah a little salt in the wound can be helpfull
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Chief, remind us again how this boat got this way? By the shape of everything in the pictures I looks as if it was sitting 50 feet down in salt water for months....

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
Thanks I've been wondering that, and yeah a little salt in the wound can be helpfull
Sorry man....wasn't trying to rub any salt in ya!

Still, very cool project!

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Wakesetter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
Thanks for the bleach tip, I'll be giving it a shot tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a warm day this weekend to try and do some super scrubbing on the carpet.

No real updates I have the bilge area squeaky clean and have a pretty much all the the parts I've removed cleaned up and ready for paint and plate. I'll post pics of the finished parts soon.

Just around 6 weeks to my goal of being seaworthy and I'm starting to stress, My engine options are slim and expensive. I'm leaning towards re-powering with a brand new PCM engine because I'm told it will work with the analog gauge system and will run w/o a catalytic converter. but that is going to be nearly 10K installed and dialed in.

I have a line on a used 2005 MCX, but I have to convert from analog to digital throttle and gauges add another 2k to a 3500 dollar engine with an unknown history and I'm thinking the reliability of the PCM will be worth the extra money.

If I could find an LTR intake manifold I'd consider a longblock, and piece back the old engine, but that reliability issue of the fuel injection and the prospect of a bunch of NLA parts rears it's ugly stinking head again.

Last but not least I have a 4bolt main 350 block and a set of heads It's tempting to build my self a carburated motor for under 1000.00, but would still have to get the instrument in the dash to function, and I really want to keep the resale value of this boat in the event I want to try something different down the road.
That is a heck of a project, but you are definitely doing it right. With the condition of the boat, I'd be surprised if the gauges even still worked. Maybe even the wiring harness has corroded? You might be better off going with the carbed motor, and get to enjoying it.

I realize it's a lot easier for me to spend your money However, you might consider verifying that the gauges even still work before you make a repower decision.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to following your build!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Chief, remind us again how this boat got this way? By the shape of everything in the pictures I looks as if it was sitting 50 feet down in salt water for months....
It was just used in saltwater and never really taken care of... Then it got picked up by a guy who thought it needed a head gasket and somehow lost the intake and set a bunch of nasty rusty greasy parts on the carpet tearing it down.

I'm confident the harness is good and the boat was never under water.

The hot rodder in me wants to build a carbed 383 stroker.

The mad scientist in me wants a Turbo'd Cummins 4bt to run biodiesel.

But the guy who just wants a reliable ski boat this summer prevails and is looking for a solution as close to oem as possible.

Last edited by 46Chief; 03-22-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

http://affordablemarinesd.com/stor/engines-for-sale/

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Wakesetter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
This place is about 10mins away from my work. If you decide to go with them I can probably swing down there and take a look for you.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 209
As a fellow PS 209 owner I am really enjoying following your restoration project. I actually was going to mention that it would be so cool to put a diesel in it, however if I were repowering this boat for the sake of time and money; wouldn't the TBI injection motor (Indmar Predator) be perfectly suitable?

BTW-I have the same ND Tower, what happened to the weld? Was it damaged from weather or did the weld break?