Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 X25 6.0Ilmor saltwater series
Winter coming all too soon here in Australia! Trying to make the most of every day we possibly can!
Giddy up!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
I had a professional overall of the GelCoat when we got it. 18 hours and three days of work inside and out making it show quality and a million times nicer than how it came from Mastercraft. You can speak with the owner of our local dealer about how much nicer it was when I was done with it.

Ryan can u expand on what you mean by the work you had done on the gel coat?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
Let me preface this post by saying I deal with very high end cars (a few over $300k) and my eye for quality of finishes on both paint and gel coat will be a bit more critical than the average person. Most people don't see the flaws I do and a lot don't care so much about the finish of their cars and boats. I have a new site that you can check out and see some of the cars we deal with www.DDWPartners.com. The only inventory on there is very recent stuff, same with the sold section.

Just like any other manufacture MC boats don't come finished as well as they should. If you really know what you're looking at with paint and gel coat finishes you will see that every brand new MC (and all other companies as well) has a ton of flaws in the Gel Coat, scratches, swirls, haze. Our boat even had some gouges in the gel coat from the factory. Some are better than others but none come perfect. Some dealers will have their new boats gone over before customers take delivery. Mine was not and that may be because I wanted it right after it was delivered. And of course these issues are easier to see on black and darker colors.

Just like paint, gel coat has a certain thickness. If you are familiar with wet sanding or cutting and buffing you can basically take layers off surfaces to get rid of all imperfections. It's a process that requires someone who knows what they are doing but if done correctly it can restore old paint and gel coat or it can make brand new boats look like they really should.

A lot of people have seen our boat and asked how we got the gel coat to look so mirrored and perfect. And our dealer came up to my showroom and saw it after I had it done and couldn't believe how much better it was.

The following pics are from when the boat was brand new and I had just taken delivery. The first pic is exactly how it came from the factory. We put harsh light on the surface to further show how bad it really was and how good it turned out.

After the first stage of refinishing:

Now after several stages and 100% complete and refinished:

A brand new $126,000 setup should come looking like the last of these three pics. My boat gets detailed 24/7 and it looks better than brand new right now even after 80hours of use.

Last edited by TheWoons; 02-20-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
Holy cow that looks AMAZING!! I don't even know what to say. Wish I lived closer to Arizona and would beg you to hire your guys. Truly beautiful!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjet View Post
Holy cow that looks AMAZING!! I don't even know what to say. Wish I lived closer to Arizona and would beg you to hire your guys. Truly beautiful!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks. My detail guys are definitely good.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Lots of action, lots of black shoes
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
That is absolutely amazing. What are the things that the average guy is doing wrong to not be able to get that amazing of a result?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theclarks1111 View Post
That is absolutely amazing. What are the things that the average guy is doing wrong to not be able to get that amazing of a result?
The average guy doesn't have all the compounds, pads and experience to be able to do that kind of work. It's very easy for someone to mess up a boat or car trying to accomplish that kind of result.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
I am stunned out how great that looks. I have tried a number of different detail shops, including my dealership, and its always decent work, but nothing like this. I wish we had someone that could do this kind of work.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
The average guy doesn't have all the compounds, pads and experience to be able to do that kind of work. It's very easy for someone to mess up a boat or car trying to accomplish that kind of result.
What does this guy charge? How long does it take?