Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 mastercraft stars and stripes 351w
Wakesurfing a tristar

I'm looking in to buying a tristar. Has any one ever wakesurfed a tristar. And hows the wakeboard wake. Any pros and cons the wake and the boat. Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 AM
TT Regular

My boat is a 85 s&s.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
A couple of questions for the OP to proceed. Are you new to boating, or experienced? New to wakeboarding/surfing, or do you have previous experience behind other boats?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
I know a guy who surfs behind his tristar. He weights it down and he even hangs a mushroom anchor off the port rear cleat! Pretty crazy. Its not great but it works.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM
TT Regular

Pics of wake

Here are three pics.

The surfing on a tristar is super difficult, possible yes. The exhaust vents are so low that if you weight it a lot to either side water will find its way in, also with stops you must be careful as a huge wall of water will come over the back as it sits very low in the water.

(500 lbs on rear seat, 400 on left side of doghouse, one person (175) on left side sitting behind driver)

The wakeboarding wake is actually pretty good, very consistant and rampy. It will not put you very high in the air compared to new x series but it is way ahead for the year it is.

(500 lbs on back seat, one passenger).

The wake can get bigger with more weight but i just do not have the screen shots.

Here is a link to a video i put together. Most of it is on a tristar besides some behind an Xstar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWRj8Jgrd94
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM
TT Regular

I'm not new to boating. My whole life is on the water. I have been wakeboarding awhile. Not a pro but I know what I'm doing. I've only be surfing a year or so. But I do under stand all that goes in to surfing. I am a very good driver an so is my wife. The boat will mainly be wake boarding. I know it's no xstar. But I'm just looking for a ok boat.

What about the rub rail. How low it goes down in the water. And has anyone had big problems with it. Thanks again. I love this site.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
When we have our X9/209 weighted down I have been concerned about water entering the port vent. During surfing I just tape off the vent with duct tape just in case. My boat has a vent on each side of it.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
The reason I ask about both your boating and wakeboarding experience is twofold. The Tristar is a great and affordable entry level boat that is not only relatively cheap on gas, but easy to learn how to drive and maneuver an inboard with. It was originally designed as a ski boat, so the stock wake is super flat. That is great for people learning how to wakeboard. But, when you add weight to the rear (fat sacs), the wake actually becomes rampy and fun for intermediate boarders. I use (2) 540 lb sacs; one on each side of the engine, and the wake is great. The rear swim deck often gets submerged, but once you learn how to drive it weighed down, it is no big deal. I have never surfed behind it, but I suppose if you add enough weight, anything would work.

Last edited by Tristarboarder; 03-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.