Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
In a car, the chassis is the ground. If you decide to disconnect the positive first, and your wrench or ratchet touches the chassis while touching the positive terminal, it's just like connecting the two terminals of the battery together. You will see sparks at the least.

If you disconnect the negative cable first, which is already connected to the chassis, there is no risk.

It probably doesn't matter as much in a boat since the "chassis" that the ground cable connects to is the engine block and is usually pretty far away from the battery terminal.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: In the hunt!
Gotcha, well I guess it makes sense why they did it the way they did then! Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Most places I know of that offer indoor storage require the batteries to be removed before coming in the building. This reduces the risk of fire (no battery = no electrical fires).

I was told to disconnect the negative lead to eliminate arcing and the chance of battery drain due to a possible ground differential. A corroded or poorly connected ground can create a circuit that will slowly drain a battery as one side will look more positive and thus create a voltage path or voltage leak. This is why it's important to tie all the grounds to a common point when wiring. When I installed my dual battery system one of the last checks I did was put a volt meter between the ground posts from the main ground terminal post and the remote ground bus in the dash to ensure they were at zero. Anything more than zero indicates a ground potential difference which can cause noise in the system as well as a drain on the battery. At least that's how it was explained/taught to me.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks man!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I have a battery cutoff switch. I turn it off when the boat is not in use, including longterm storage. I charge it up at winterization and put it on a charger on the lowest setting before recomissioning in the spring. It does not lose much charge over layup.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I have a battery cutoff switch. I turn it off when the boat is not in use, including longterm storage. I charge it up at winterization and put it on a charger on the lowest setting before recomissioning in the spring. It does not lose much charge over layup.
I thought about doing that too... Good idea, thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:18 PM
MC Hero

I did it because I had a draw in the electrical system that was slowly draining my battery each summer. The switch was cheaper and easier than chasing the ghost current.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I did it because I had a draw in the electrical system that was slowly draining my battery each summer. The switch was cheaper and easier than chasing the ghost current.
I like! Not a bad idea at all.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft Prostar 214 400 hp
I have a Prostar 214 that will draw down over time as well. I've been pulling the cable off every time but considered a battery cutoff switch. I've seen these are common in larger boats. I think Perko is the most popular brand. Is that what you installed?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
MC Hero

Yes. I had my boat in for something and the dealer installed the switch for me. I have been very pleased with it and no more draw issues (obviously) for the last two years since installing it.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club