Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I found a picture of the Hydrosprort tower installed on a different boat, you may find it helpful.

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showth...de-I-picked-up
Thats the only pic i can find on the net of that tower on a boat. I think it looks ok, considering its just a knockoff of a MC tower, but since i cant find any info about it i'm very hesitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonwa View Post
14 years is not that old. Just wait to to purchase a New Dimension tower you will not regret the decision. Plus a new dimension should not hurt resale since they look and fit like an oem tower.

Its not just the age of the boat, and i can afford a ND tower, i just cant justify that much on a boat we aren't keeping long term.

The boat did have a tower on but i was never happy with it or the way it was mounted. It was an older reverse arch design that the previous owner mounted too far back so it looked funny and he also drilled some pretty rough holes which caused some gel coat cracks around the tower bases. My original plan was just to move the tower ahead and have my father inlaw fix the cracks (he owns a fiberglass shop) but once i had the tower off i decided to buy something else entirely. And now i sold the old tower so i kinda need something.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Save your money and buy an ND. You'll regret it like others have taking the cheap route. You get what you pay for. A fully loaded ND will run you about 3500.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
for reference. we put a full-size NDT on last year at this time and spent a total of $2500. included in that amount is $225 for shipping. Very Solid. I also thought it was a bit much at first to put on a now 13 year old boat but I don"t see it ever being removed. Along with incorporating a tower bimini from http://www.towerbiminis.com it has been a great addition to the enjoyment and functionality of the boat.
Attached Images

Last edited by LaRue; 03-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft x45
I had a tower nightmare. I bought from a Canadian company called Bad Boy Wake (never buy anything from them). At the time I had no idea it was built in China. Well I went with the full meal deal and got racks, speakers, lights etc. It came to around $2500.

We installed it on our Formula 25 BR (sold) and it moved back and forth like crazy. I called the company and they said it was 100% normal. PS I am not talking 1/2 an inch. I could flex it 4 inches without much effort.

Our third time wakeboarding with the tower while pulling up a beginner the tower bent at the tow point. I called the company and they said they could send a replacement but they needed me to send the bar back first. I asked how much a different model would cost and I got a higher price then what was quoted online. I was expecting to only pay shipping!!!!! Because the removal and reinstalling a tower was going to be a 3 day job at least

I don't like to make a big deal of things (wife does and cant believe I laid down so easy, but HEY life is short) so I had our local metal shop straighten and attempt to reinforce the bar. (removing the bar would have meant total removal of the tower along with 4 speakers,lights and wires.)

Any way long story short I thought to myself lets call these guys and try to order my same tower and see if they still offer it (used a fake name). I was told they don't, they now sell a much stronger tower with two complete cross bars to stop side to side movement.

I will never buy anything from these drop shippers again. The metal pitted (fresh water), the hinges never worked. I still get the gears from my wife about that stupid purchase.

We are very excited to get our Mastercraft x45 with a real tower in 2 weeks.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft x45
PS I just looked at that Hydrowake Universal tower and that is pretty much the same one I bought. DON'T do it. Spent some extra and get a quality tower. The single bar across the top is simply not strong enough.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Pretty much decided to go with the joystick tower. Small possibility I might still get the aerial assault but doubting it. The money saved going with the cheaper tower over something like a ND, Samson, or Roswell is going toward Perfect Pass.

So considering my boat is identical to Russlars that he posted in this thread, what color tower would look best? Black or white would be best, since joystick doesn't offer stainless maybe silver powder coat would be ok? Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Pretty sure Joystick has a polished aluminum tower color choice.

I would just call Ron at JS. He answers the phone and is helpful and responsive to questions in my experience.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Good choice on the Joystick in that price range.

Here's where all those companies are getting the Chinese towers--Krypt, Hydrowake, Aerial, etc.:
http://www.made-in-china.com/Wakeboa...d-Tower-1.html

If you see one like the style you're looking at, I'd stay away. There's some good advice in this thread about which ones are worth the extra money.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
You get what you Pay for.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Spend more: Buy once, cry once.
Spend less/skimp: Save once, cry many times.