Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Steering cable

I like a lot of you have had great dealings with skidim, but I'm frugal (cheap) and am always looking for a better deal.

If you need a new steering cable be sure to check out Marine Parts Source. I just ordered a new cable from them (same part number) for roughly 40% less than my old standby vendor.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
When I was replacing my steering cable a couple of months ago I found this place but became weary when I couldn't find a real address or phone number on their web site. I Googled them, found an address and looked them up on Google Earth.. it looked more like a warehouse than a retail establishment. They are probably legit but although I'm frugal, I've heard of too many horror stories from people buying from places like this. I ended up buying the cable form my local dealer for about $20 more... it was worth the piece of mind.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg View Post
When I was replacing my steering cable a couple of months ago I found this place but became weary when I couldn't find a real address or phone number on their web site. I Googled them, found an address and looked them up on Google Earth.. it looked more like a warehouse than a retail establishment. They are probably legit but although I'm frugal, I've heard of too many horror stories from people buying from places like this. I ended up buying the cable form my local dealer for about $20 more... it was worth the piece of mind.
There are lots of businesses today that do not have a retail center. The internet has allowed this to expand greatly, but there have always been catalog order businesses. That being said, one can't be too careful who they buy from. My father used to caution me about "trying to save the last nickel".

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg View Post
That's why I pay with a CC and not Paypal or anything else. I can always deny the charge on my CC if something doesn't work out.

BTW, I placed the order after lunch today and already have a UPS tracking number.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Oh, and I also stumbled across this vendor on fleabay where they have great feedback.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
I like a lot of you have had great dealings with skidim, but I'm frugal (cheap) and am always looking for a better deal.

If you need a new steering cable be sure to check out Marine Parts Source. I just ordered a new cable from them (same part number) for roughly 40% less than my old standby vendor.
I checked but they do not have the size I need. It also was not 40% cheaper, but more like 14%. I think I will just stick with what I know, which is Teleflex.

I spoke with Richard at Skidim and he told me that if you buy online and enter promo code "malibu", you can get a 10% discount.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I checked but they do not have the size I need. It also was not 40% cheaper, but more like 14%. I think I will just stick with what I know, which is Teleflex.

I spoke with Richard at Skidim and he told me that if you buy online and enter promo code "malibu", you can get a 10% discount.
In my case for the 19' cable it was $185 vs $113 for the exact same Teleflex cable.

http://www.marinepartssource.com/new...LEFLEX&desc=19 ft. Backmount Rack Steering Cable&mfgno=SSC13419

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Oh, that's a rack cable. Did you convert your steering over from rotary already? If so, how long did your last Rack cable last you. I have been told that the older rotary type lasts longer. I also assume that you were able to make that black bar fit under your dash with no problem as well.

Okay, found the one I would need. Still about 14% discount, but always good to know of another supplier. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post

Damn! I bet if you enter "mastercraft" you would get 15%:- :-)