Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Are Rev 10s / Rev 410s too heavy for an '03 Zero Flex Tower???

Okay, so I finally have the funds lined up to make what is hopefully my last stereo upgrade...the tower speakers. I've had my heart set on a pair of 410s, but now that I am ready to purchase I ran across a new concern...the exponential jump in weight on the tower compared to my current setup.

Right now I have 2 pair of Wet Sounds XS650s in the factory cans (2003 zero flex tower on a X-10). I'm moving the 650s into the boat. The 650s weigh 8 lbs per pair. Figuring the stock cans are about the same themselves, then I have roughly 32lbs currently on the tower = 4 x (4lb can + 4lb speaker).

I called Wetsounds and was advised that a pair of Rev 10s and a single 410 both weigh 50lbs. So if I put any combo of them on my tower it'd come in at 100lbs...more than triple what I currently have on it. Rev 8s weren't even an option for me, but now that they weigh 37lbs per pair, I'm considering them just on weight.

Does anybody have experience with something equally as heavy or at least substantially heavier than what I have now on the same tower and how has the tower held up? Any signs of fatigue, extra movement, etc.???

Thanks - Jason
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
why werent rev 8's an option? i love my 8's, and as long as you power them correctly even a single pair can be hear very well at the end of the rope
Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
why werent rev 8's an option? i love my 8's, and as long as you power them correctly even a single pair can be hear very well at the end of the rope
Not knocking them, they are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than what i currently have, just I know me. I always want more when it comes to stereo eqipment, so I'm doing everything all out from the get go so I'm not going through and install then upgrading again next year.

Also, since the 8s are already north of $1k, I can't see why I would not spend the extra hundred to get the 10s which have approx 50% more surface area. But if space, or in my case weight becomes an issue, then the 8s are a the next best option.

BTW...what tower do you have these on? 1 pair or two? Any adverse flexing on your tower or stress on the hull?

Thanks - Jason
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I have 1 pair of rev10s on my 2003 zero flex with no issues. I have considered adding another pair, but just can't justify the expense right now. I would not worry at all about the weight of another pair up there.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I have 1 pair of rev10s on my 2003 zero flex with no issues. I have considered adding another pair, but just can't justify the expense right now. I would not worry at all about the weight of another pair up there.
Cool! Do you encounter any choppy water or hit double ups? If so does the tower sway then?

What did you upgrade from on the tower and honestly how much of an improvement/change in the boat, in the cove, and riding behind?

Thanks - jason
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

The tower does flex a little in choppy water and hitting double ups, but not to an extent that worries me. It seems to be pretty normal from what I have seen. I have a friend with in 07 x2 and another with an 08 nautique with the titan tower, and they seem to flex about the same amount in chop.

I had pro80s on the tower before I upgrade to the rev10s. Two rev10s is plenty loud for most situations. They could stand to be a little louder at the end of the line riding, but they can still be easily heard.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
The tower does flex a little in choppy water and hitting double ups, but not to an extent that worries me. It seems to be pretty normal from what I have seen. I have a friend with in 07 x2 and another with an 08 nautique with the titan tower, and they seem to flex about the same amount in chop.

I had pro80s on the tower before I upgrade to the rev10s. Two rev10s is plenty loud for most situations. They could stand to be a little louder at the end of the line riding, but they can still be easily heard.
Thanks for the insight! Any appreciable difference at the end of the line between the pro 80s and the rev 10s? And are/were they powered by the same amp (i.e. Did you just upgrade speakers or speakers and amp)?

Thanks again - jason
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Devotee

I don't think there is a lot of difference between them at the end of the line. The rev10s definitely sound a lot better than the pro80s when listening to them in the boat or on the platform. The pro80s don't have a lot of midbass and the highs are overpowering. Both will be substantial upgrades over the xs-650s.

I'm running the rev10s on a syn4. I had the pro80s on a kicker zx350.4.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
TT Regular

Awesome, just the level of detail/experience i was looking for. Now i'll likely do the 10s again. In your opinion do you think a single rev 410 would look incomplete/akward on our towers? Thinking about doing just that but dont want to kill the looks of the boat in the process?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
MC Devotee

I think 2 rev10s would look better than a single rev410. I don't think a single rev410 would kill the looks of the boat, it's just something you don't see very often. If you are choosing between 4 rev10s and 2 rev410s, it's a toss up.