Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Shoreline work

Ice is breaking off my body of water and along with the fun on the horizon, so begins the work. The water level is low as this is a runoff fed lake, so now is the time to address some rollers or backwash I saw last summer. I have been on this lake for almost 20 years and never had to do shore work. Last summer, I had some rollers mid course and I blame low lake level. In working the shore, I assume I want to "cut" any shelf creating a vertical shore to slope and remove any bigger rocks or debris. There are a couple of stands of vegitation. Not sure if they are russian olives, or other type but they are about 1" or so in diameter and are fairly close together maybe every 24" over 600 sq. feet. Will they act as a "baffle" or do I need to cut them down as well?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190
Oh, man, the DNR in WI would be all over us if we did anything like this to our shoreline. We can't remove rocks, logs, can't rake, dredge, nothing! Plus with all the marijuana farms in the National Forest around us the DNR is constantly flying over checking things out-they don't miss a thing!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
How would the low lake level be the issue?

Low lake level means its hitting a flat shoreline? i.e. not hitting the eroded part thats causing the rollers... ?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
It is a private retired gravel pit. The shoreline is varied, but I think I had worse issues earlier in the season, than later so it may not all have to do with level. I need to survey from gate to gate. I wouldn't think the vegitation is a huge deal and if I cut it off below water level, it could be an additional hazzard.