Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Nice project! I love seeing abused MC's brought back to life.

I don't think MC ever used an LS1 engine in any boat, that looks like an LT1.
There is a service bulletin regarding the steam tube for the cylinders heads. It needs to be re-located from the back of the engine to the front. This will avoid any temp spikes.

Congrats!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
If your not set on copycat interiors, I would definately recommend Jim At Viper. The $$ he quoted for full interior and carpet was very reasonable and the work looks great! Check with Kyle on the dash plates to match your vent covers. The Sammy woodgrain panels on ebay are for a 190....otherwise I would have bought them for spares.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 94 PS 205 350 TBI
It takes some stones to tackle a project like this. Looks like you are on the right track. These older DD with open bows ride and drive like any boat costing 3x the $. BOAT- buying all the little things (not to mention long blocks) put a true meaning to break out another thousand...
I did a 1994 PS 205 in similar condition. Complete gut job. I got factory skins through Jim and BAWS, banged them on myself. I sold it with the arrival the kids, was a said day as it meant a whole being out in what you dreamed. The guys on this site are unselfish, knowledgable and helped out along the way.
Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Thanks Guys! I am excited to get everything moving along. As you will see in the photos my steering cable was seized to the guide tube. I tried to get it to break free with heat and PB Blaster but it was too far gone. I have ordered a new steering cable and it should be here Friday. I am not looking forward to fishing that thing through the inaccessible portions of the boat. I am going to try and use either my fish tape or a LOT of duct tape. I have already had the rudder box rebuilt by the dealer so mechanically this boat should be basically next to new(for its age). I believe the transmission has under 300 hours. I have a few issues with the trailer that I need to deal with - ie. someone has removed the brakes. I might have a scrapper boat in town that I just found out about today, it was damaged by a tree falling through it. If i get it, it will come with a painted trailer, which I am fine with. I have no use for a salt water trailer and will probably sell mine in the condition it is in, if I can get the other trailer. I have tried, to no avail, to get the actuator out of my trailer. Those pins will not budge a centimeter. Can't wait until my steering cable comes in Friday and I can take this beast out for a spin. I took at photo of the shifter because the metal is pitting. I have heard that can be remedied, is that correct? is there something I can put on there ie. polish? Thanks for all the help guys! I'll upload the photos of the weekend excursion when i get in Sunday.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
More info for you
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...highlight=lt-1
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...haft+alignment
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...t=37643&page=2

Check out more switches and custom cables here.
http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Quick%20Connect%20Plugs/
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
TT Regular

One last thing for tonight. I would like to get all of the warning labels and NMMA stickers re-created. Does anyone have a source for these? I noticed the NMMA sticker with the capacity on it is specific to model, am I going to be bending any laws or regulations by getting a sticker shop to print one? Can anyone take a photo of theirs off of a 96 prostar 205? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Tateau: Mine were so faded I ended up taking them off and never looking back. I kept the USCG one of course. I am not a decal guy so it looks so much better in my opinion.

Name:  IMG_0151.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
One last thing for tonight. I would like to get all of the warning labels and NMMA stickers re-created. Does anyone have a source for these? I noticed the NMMA sticker with the capacity on it is specific to model, am I going to be bending any laws or regulations by getting a sticker shop to print one? Can anyone take a photo of theirs off of a 96 prostar 205? Thanks!
I too would like new decals. NMMA has new decals and capacity labels for sale but you have to buy in huge rolls and calls to my local dealers have came up empty...

http://www.nmma.org/certification/pr...anddecals.aspx

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
I am not looking forward to fishing that thing through the inaccessible portions of the boat. I am going to try and use either my fish tape or a LOT of duct tape. .
Just tie a rope to the steering cable at the back of the boat and pull the cable out at the drivers seat. Then do the reverse to the new cable. Should come out easy. There may be a couple ties alongside the engine that you may need to undo, but overall this is a simple process.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
TT Regular

Well, I got the steering cable in but the old guide tube had to be cut down and recycled. The new tube that I ordered from Skidim had no threads except for the end and the block that clamps on to it was threaded. So, I just cut the torn thread off and adjusted the length, everything with the steering system works great now. I took the boat out this morning and I thought everything was running great....until... I put the boat on the trailer and found a decent bit of transmission fluid in the bilge. Not too excited about that but it seems to be coming from the bell housing around the starter penetration. I assume it is the shaft seal on the front of the transmission. I am kind-of aggravated that the guys at Rambo didn't mention that this could be a problem on a boat that has sat for 2+ years unused. I started looking around after i saw the fluid and saw that it is a fairly common issue with boats that have been stored for an extended period of time, especially with no fluid in the trans. I am assuming that I will have to pull the engine to swap this seal, debating whether I should do it myself or not. Here are some photos of the boat in the water and the bilge after I discovered the tranny leak. Can anyone give me any tips about how to keep so much water out of the battery compartment and the cooler box in the floor? Thanks
Attached Images