Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Prostar205 View Post
Which temp sensor do you have? I would like to install a stand alone temp sensor and I like your idea of using one of the pitot tube holes for this purpose.
I had the same thing done on mine. I have a Faria Depth Finder/Air/Water Temp Sensor. I ran the wiring for my water temp sensor through the tubing hole for the pitot pickup on the starboard side. Or, I should say, the mechanic who installed it for me did. I got a special sized thru-hull (not in-hull) depth finder pickup that fits the 2" hole from my old (no longer used) Perfect Pass paddle wheel. The depth finder pickup is flush mounted through the hole.

Air temp sensor is just tossed up under the dash.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '88 prostar 190
We have a Precision Star on our boat. (it was on there when we bought it) I havent been impressed. It usually takes 30 minutes to triangulate and then only works on and off. If you shut the boat down and start it back up it has to go through that all over again. It doesnt take quite as long but still another 5 or 10 min before it picks up the satelites the second time.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I had the same thing done on mine. I have a Faria Depth Finder/Air/Water Temp Sensor. I ran the wiring for my water temp sensor through the tubing hole for the pitot pickup on the starboard side. Or, I should say, the mechanic who installed it for me did. I got a special sized thru-hull (not in-hull) depth finder pickup that fits the 2" hole from my old (no longer used) Perfect Pass paddle wheel. The depth finder pickup is flush mounted through the hole.

Air temp sensor is just tossed up under the dash.
You have part numbers for this (gauge and xducer)? I have an unused opening in my hull just to the port side of the drain plug. This was used by the PO for the suction side of his ballast pump. Would this be too far forward on the hull to read while at speed?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Which temp sensor do you have? I would like to install a stand alone temp sensor and I like your idea of using one of the pitot tube holes for this purpose.
I did this one....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ighlight=Faria

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
where did you wind up mounting your depth transducer?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
where did you wind up mounting your depth transducer?
Mine was epoxied to the bottom of the hull just next to the shaft. Mine is NOT a thru-hull type transducer. Just one that is epoxied to the inside. The temp sensor was positioned in the old pitot location and I reused the rubber tubing hole for the temp sensor wires.

If you already have a hole in your hull, some of the transducers have build in temp sensors too.

I just didn't want to drill through my boat bottom if I didn't have to.

The drawback of my water temp sensor is when I'm moving at full speed. Once the sensor is out of the water, it spikes up. As soon as you slow down and get it submerged again, it only takes about 30 second to aclimate to the lake water again.

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
MC Devotee

http://faria-instruments.com/transducers.php

I have the SN2010 transducer

You might want the SN0031 transducer

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
MC Devotee

http://www.boatersland.com/far-13852.html

This is the one that also gives you 3 choices:

Transom
In-hull
Thru-hull

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin&Annie View Post
We have a Precision Star on our boat. (it was on there when we bought it) I havent been impressed. It usually takes 30 minutes to triangulate and then only works on and off. If you shut the boat down and start it back up it has to go through that all over again. It doesnt take quite as long but still another 5 or 10 min before it picks up the satelites the second time.

You should call PP - they support very well, it may be where the reciever is mounted, or a configurable issue. Other than that, you might consider wiring it to the aux switch so it can stay on while you boat.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
You have part numbers for this (gauge and xducer)? I have an unused opening in my hull just to the port side of the drain plug. This was used by the PO for the suction side of his ballast pump. Would this be too far forward on the hull to read while at speed?
First, what size is the hole. About a year after I got this specially sized transducer, I heard that others were told that it was NLA. But here's what I could find.

Faria white Depth/Water/Air Temp. gauge. Here's the tricky part, you need to order it with Part Number SN0036A, which is a thru-hull transducer with depth and temp that requires a 2" hole (this is different from the standard transducer, but the price is the same). You also have to order the air temp. probe separately because of the special transducer.

Good luck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.