Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewlett6621 View Post
If the transmission was slipping would it gain revs not lose them ????
It will gain rpm.

When the tranny slips it takes load off of the engine so it will over rev. Not good

Jwp you do not have a fuel problem. Tranny issue. Watched both vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
First, try and see if you can grind the bottom of the strut to get the alignment to the log closer. You dont need to be perfectly centered in the log- just fairly close. So long as youre not rubbing, youre fine- the log hose will take up the slight misalignment. Make sure you align the powertrain to where the shaft spins freely in the strut (not necessarily centered in the log).

Try and limit the number of washers you put under the base of the strut- and dont put too much thickened resin under there either, if you can help it.
Agree 100%

Less or no washers would be ideal.

Is there a way to grind the strut slightly to get the mating surface flush yet center?

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Is there a way to grind the strut slightly to get the mating surface flush yet center?
Yep... its called an angle grinder and a steady hand, followed by some hand filing. We added about 1/16" of taper (front to back) on the new strut we put on the BFN.

We tried it with washers first to determine how much it needed to be adjusted... then took the same amount of material off the opposite edge. Then its just a matter of making the surface flat- grind, check with straight edge, grind, check, etc. Then dry fit to verify it worked.

Note the thickness of the base... thickest on the left, thinnest on the right. No washers necessary, and dead nuts in the log.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Quote:

Jwp you do not have a fuel problem. Tranny issue. Watched both vids
Hey Kyle,

Won't the engine gain revs (not lose them) if the tranny is slipping?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, X-45, 2006, LQ9
That's either a spark plug or spark plug wire issue or a cap and rotor issue. It's not a transmission because your first video was in neutral.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Kyle,

I know we are getting a little lost on this thread here but when I watch the video (#2) I am seeing it run steady then jump up high in RPM, and I assume he is accelerating (not the boat doing it on its own), then at WOT it starts missing and the revs drop off. Is my thinking off on this one?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 AM
TT Regular

Back to topic,

I put the strut on my garage floor with a tri-square on each side and measured from each sqaure to the center of the tube. It's cocked centered in the front and cocked a good 1/4" to the port side in the back. Which explains why the shaft rides on the starboard log wall. I have three options as I see it, and shimming with fiberglass, washers, etc is clearly not one of the best.

1. Grind down the front port side of the base to reposition the tube to a centered position. Of course it will never be in its stock position this way

2. New strut

3. Take this one to a machine shop and have them true the tube up and plane the base.

Each one has its advantages and disadvantages, I like #2 and #3 the best but maybe thats OCD?If its between those two its a simple cost comparison.

Also, is 5200 definitely the best adhesive to use here? As much as I would like to think this strut will be on there forever, I'm not gonna bet my life on it. Came off pretty easy, but not sure if its been off before.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
Yep... its called an angle grinder and a steady hand, followed by some hand filing. We added about 1/16" of taper (front to back) on the new strut we put on the BFN.

We tried it with washers first to determine how much it needed to be adjusted... then took the same amount of material off the opposite edge. Then its just a matter of making the surface flat- grind, check with straight edge, grind, check, etc. Then dry fit to verify it worked.

Note the thickness of the base... thickest on the left, thinnest on the right. No washers necessary, and dead nuts in the log.
That's nice work there.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Back to topic,

I put the strut on my garage floor with a tri-square on each side and measured from each sqaure to the center of the tube. It's cocked centered in the front and cocked a good 1/4" to the port side in the back. Which explains why the shaft rides on the starboard log wall. I have three options as I see it, and shimming with fiberglass, washers, etc is clearly not one of the best.

1. Grind down the front port side of the base to reposition the tube to a centered position. Of course it will never be in its stock position this way

2. New strut

3. Take this one to a machine shop and have them true the tube up and plane the base.

Each one has its advantages and disadvantages, I like #2 and #3 the best but maybe thats OCD?If its between those two its a simple cost comparison.

Also, is 5200 definitely the best adhesive to use here? As much as I would like to think this strut will be on there forever, I'm not gonna bet my life on it. Came off pretty easy, but not sure if its been off before.
Yes 5200

I like option 2 the best then 3 then 1

But I think my OCD would roll 2

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
That's nice work there.
I agree, he can grind.

Curious what he has to say about mine, 1/4" seems like a hell of a lot to be off to me.