Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Any update, have you decided?

I've been trying to find a used vehicle for my son. I've been looking for cheap, smaller car that would get decent (notice I did not say great or good) gas mileage. People seem to want too much or they are too beat up. What I have notice is that there is a good supply of SUVs like this. My guess is everyone is worried about the price of fuel. So I think that is working to your advantage.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Any update, have you decided?

I've been trying to find a used vehicle for my son. I've been looking for cheap, smaller car that would get decent (notice I did not say great or good) gas mileage. People seem to want too much or they are too beat up. What I have notice is that there is a good supply of SUVs like this. My guess is everyone is worried about the price of fuel. So I think that is working to your advantage.

I hit it....

at one time while still married, we had 3 suburbans sitting in driveway.... we looked like Reps for OPEC
when actually, they were all paid for and had little to zero maintenance issues.... so, we had
1) no car payment
2) very little maintenance/repairs (pretty solid vehicles)
3) liability insurance (because no note payment to lender)

so, we may have been paying more for fuel, but we were saving money in the other areas

now, put together
1) car payment
2) repairs (if it's beyond warranty)
3) full coverage
4) fuel

and see who comes out ahead

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
The gas on these suck. My 6.0 drinks it. The repairs have been zilch over the last 60k outside of pads every year and oil changes (knock on wood). Good purchase. And hear you on the marriage. I had a motorcycle, wrangler, and grand paid for just for me and another grand for her paid for. After the fact I have no bike, a 05 nali payment, and a boat payment. When riding back from the lake with my new girl I just can't help but think I must have screwed up somewhere hahaha
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
The gas on these suck. My 6.0 drinks it. The repairs have been zilch over the last 60k outside of pads every year and oil changes (knock on wood). Good purchase. And hear you on the marriage. I had a motorcycle, wrangler, and grand paid for just for me and another grand for her paid for. After the fact I have no bike, a 05 nali payment, and a boat payment. When riding back from the lake with my new girl I just can't help but think I must have screwed up somewhere hahaha
Pads every year...........how many miles do you put on in a year?

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I hit it....

at one time while still married, we had 3 suburbans sitting in driveway.... we looked like Reps for OPEC
when actually, they were all paid for and had little to zero maintenance issues.... so, we had
1) no car payment
2) very little maintenance/repairs (pretty solid vehicles)
3) liability insurance (because no note payment to lender)

so, we may have been paying more for fuel, but we were saving money in the other areas

now, put together
1) car payment
2) repairs (if it's beyond warranty)
3) full coverage
4) fuel

and see who comes out ahead
I'm up to 265k miles on my 2001 Tahoe with a 5.3. I've gotten as high as 21 mpg, but usually 18.5 these days. Fuel pump went at 225k.
The rear main seal always dripped a bit, but recently the oil pan and another gasket starting leaking badly so I bit the bullet and had a repair shop replace the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket, not a drop since. Other than that, everything else is original (except tires, brakes). It has been a great vehicle.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
For what it is worth...I have a '99 5.3L and it is currently running on 223K mi. My fuel pump went out at 140K and the trany was rebuilt at 160K other than that it has been a perfect truck. The seat is a quick fix at the upolstrey shop if it bothers you. Mine can be fixed for less than $200 bucks. They are solid trucks. That model has heavier sheetmetal which the body shops like for welding on when the body rusts out. Your in FL and may not have the rust issues.

Keep the tires rotated and properly inflated, cant go wrong with a set of michilens!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Pads every year...........how many miles do you put on in a year?
about 30 with a ton of that being with the boat/heavy equipment in tow. I don't reallly understand it either but it happens.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
about 30 with a ton of that being with the boat/heavy equipment in tow. I don't reallly understand it either but it happens.
Do you use the same brand of pads all the time? You should be getting at least twice that with the proper pads. How long are your rear brakes lasting?

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Just a thought: perhaps the breaks on one of your trailers are not engaging correctly causing the excessive wear.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Just a thought: perhaps the breaks on one of your trailers are not engaging correctly causing the excessive wear.
on my list to check when it comes out of the garage. I haul a lot of machinery/etc so could be an issue too. I changed them maybe a year after I got the truck and then a year later they were crap. I changed out all 4 because 1 had pretty much imploded and was not very impressed with the quality. I'm at close to a year now on the new pads but haven't checked them lately. My ex has an 04 xl and has had similar issues. Good news is I can change the pads in 15 extra minutes on top of a rotation. Easiest pad change I've ever dealt with.