Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 x15
No! I will not sell it with a broken tank! It will be remedied somehow! I am thinking removal and replaced with soft bag is the best option.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
TT Newbie

No! I will not sell it with a broken tank! It will be remedied somehow! I am thinking removal and replaced with soft bag is the best option. I do expect a dealership to stand behind the product they sell. In this case a tank that the boat is built around making removal impossible.
It is a fine design as long as a tank never fails. It broke directly behind the battery box. I think we had an umbrella on it nothng else. There was a sac in the rear locker, supplied by same dealership the boat was purchased from.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I would honestly rip out both tanks and put in sacs. more ballast!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 PM
TT Newbie

Not a bad idea. Both sides will match, that wil look better and surf better!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 PM
MC Maniac

I vote keep the boat! Plumb some 750s or 1100s in there if its all you do is surf!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Are you sure you have to cut the tank apart to get it out?
My X2 is a very similar layout and it looks like one could just remove the aft ballast tanks without too much trouble. KGB tank totally different story.
If you did both sides, IMO you'd be increasing the value of the boat with factory ballas operation and waaaay more plumbed in ballast.
Maybe search wake world too. I'm sure someone has removed the factory rear tanks in favor of bags.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
That's very concerning to hear. As someone who has young kids, faced with the seemingly inevitable switch from the ski boat (197) to wakeboard boat at some point in the future, stories like this make me cringe.

I've said it before, but why do we settle for poor warranties? We're not buying Moombas or Tiges. We're buying $70,000-$120,000 boats, from "The Leader, and Pulling Farther Ahead"...at least that used to be the MC claim. 3 years on engine, and 1 year on all else? Really? I'm shocked that's ok with people. 20 years ago 3 year warranty on the engine would have been fine, as there weren't hardly any other gadgets that could break. Now, with the hull being formed around ballasts, and boats loaded with $20k in electronics, ballasts, stereos, etc the warranty hasn't changed. All of the boat manufacturers have no problem putting a premium price/value on the gadgets, but don't seem to back them.

I get that some will say the tank could have split because water froze inside (Note the owner says that's not the cause). Or that he should have bought an extended warranty...my question is Why? This is the best boat out there, right? Why is 1 year warranty ok on an $80k boat?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Are you sure you have to cut the tank apart to get it out?
My X2 is a very similar layout and it looks like one could just remove the aft ballast tanks without too much trouble. KGB tank totally different story.
If you did both sides, IMO you'd be increasing the value of the boat with factory ballas operation and waaaay more plumbed in ballast.
Maybe search wake world too. I'm sure someone has removed the factory rear tanks in favor of bags.
I think they might be a little to long and like a few inches to wide. im not sure, ill have to check. i know the tank goes up under the seats as well.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X30 2013 w/ 6.2L
Guys is the KGB tank the center roto molded tank?

What does KGB stand for? I've searched and searched but can't find a reference.

Thx
Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
KGB is the center tank. KGB=keel-line gravity ballast