Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Home Design Input

1st, please excuse the poor quality sketches!
We've picked a basic floor plan then tweeted it, but I'm worried I haven't thought the changes through. I'm also worried about the stair case going downstairs. I allowed 17 feet with about a 4 foot landing. The lot is also limited to 55 feet deep. Septic System limits it to 4 bedrooms.
The lot requires a walk out basement, but gives us the space for 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 downstairs plus the 2 car garage up and an additional 2 bays downstairs for boat, lawn mowers, friends jet skis, etc. Any input will be appreciated. We're going with America's Home Place for now because of their cheaper cost per square foot.
Attached Images

amonette516@comcast.net
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
That looks like a great project and nice lot on the lake. Congratulations, I hope it is perfect when completed. Don't under plan. Watch all your door swings, go as far as light switch locations, window placements witin walls for views, etc. The more you plan, the better it will turn out. Make a list of "Must Have" features, "Would Like" and if "Money Allows" features and then let the budget works it's wat through the list. Keep as many Must's and Would Likes as you can.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Mr grandfather always insisted on 36 inch wide interior doors. It makes it really nice to move things in and out of rooms, and so much easier if you ever have someone in a wheelchair in the house, which he had to use his last few years. It's a feature that is very difficult to add later on.

My dad put outlets under the eves for Christmas lights when my parents built their house. A small thing, but it makes it so easy not to use extension cords.

I'm sure the rest of the guys on here have alot of great tips like this. Many of them have built/had built their homes.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
hard to tell by the quality of the sketches which is upper & lower floors ... and arrangements... but looks like a great lot / location overlooking the lake. Stairs can be tricky if too narrow, too steep and I always think of moving furniture between floors (you might not have that issues if walkout on both floors). I also add a bit more space in garages which are usually cheaper since unheated/uncooled (can lower overall $/sq ft). I also plan on zoned heating/cooling & water heaters to where main living area is separate from spare bedrooms where a portion can be turned off or down when not being used. I designed numerous homes over the past 35+ years and am always looking to cut down on unnecessary/unneeded halls to add that sq footage into more usable/liveable space. You can also design to make more energy efficient with little things that still offer nice appearance.

I would really like to see clearer sketches of the layout and might could offer some suggestions.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
First off get yourself some graph paper and do some decent to-scale drawings with a ruler and a fine tip pencil. I'll use 1 square = 1 foot so I can get into fine detail.

I do all my own drawings for floor plans then bring them to an engineer to CAD and engineer/certify the plan. As someone who has done numerous houses for myself and other people I can promise you that there will be something you'll wish you had done differently with the plan, but for the love of God, don't hire a builder because he is the cheapest!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
I have been playing with a Design Program the past few weeks. It would probably help you out a lot with what you are doing.

Here is a sample of what it looks like.

I have drafted it all myself so it still has along way to go.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Sketch the garage first and build the house around it!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Sketch the garage first and build the house around it!
THIS!!! Seriously, if you are a gear head, this is a big consideration. Wife wouldn't put up with a substandard kitchen, so neither should you.
Think big closets and storage space if that fits into the picture.
Regarding stairs, I made a similar mistake (well the architect did and I didn't catch it until it was too late. Had to make an additional landing and turn on both sets of stairs because not enough room was allowed at the bottom for a landing. Figure 12" ea for treads (run) and 7" rise. 17' of run allows you 17 steps which will get you up/down about 10' vertically. If you have 8' basement walls you'll be at 9' total rise to get to the main level floor from the basement floor.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
First off get yourself some graph paper and do some decent to-scale drawings with a ruler and a fine tip pencil. I'll use 1 square = 1 foot so I can get into fine detail.

I do all my own drawings for floor plans then bring them to an engineer to CAD and engineer/certify the plan. As someone who has done numerous houses for myself and other people I can promise you that there will be something you'll wish you had done differently with the plan, but for the love of God, don't hire a builder because he is the cheapest!!!
Great post here. Also you might consider downloading google sketchup. It's a great program for conceptual design.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
25 foot deep garage minimum with 8 ft door height. house wrap, expanding foam insulation, don't go cheap on the windows, 9 ft or higher ceiling in the basement so it doesn't feel like a cave. Everything an elderly person would need on the main floor so you can live there as long as possible.