Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
Kyle, there are 3 problems, not 2.

1. Transmission rebuild
2. Strut to log alignment
3. Powertrain to shaft alignment
Agree 100%

I guess my OCD would flare up and I would have to know my rebuild was good first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Ebasicpower.com is where I got my rebuild kit from. I think it is the cheapest place to get a master rebuild kit.

When I did mine I assembled everything and had the same problem. My clutches were worn and needed replacing but my front pump was bad. So I had to remove the tranny and put a pump in. It worked very well after that.
Hey Kyle,

Did you have to use a shop press to do your rebuild? I have the ZF 450 D or ZF45c and it calls for a bunch of specialty tools to rebuild.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Hey Kyle,

Did you have to use a shop press to do your rebuild? I have the ZF 450 D or ZF45c and it calls for a bunch of specialty tools to rebuild.
I did not use a press.

Most of the races and bearings are pressed on but mine were fine. No pits or signs of uneven wear.

I have not been inside of your style tranny before so my knowledge is probably not best on your style. I would have to get a shop manual and study it.

Wish I was more help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Transmission is done, garage is clean, waiting till thursday to drop it in. Between now and then I hope to have my strut aligned. A few pics:

First one is a little tool I made out of a PVC adapter, bushing, and dremel tool to hold the shaft in the middle of the log while I mess with the strut.

Next pics show how the strut sits with the shaft centered, strut loose, and my left hand lifting lightly on the back of the shaft. There is a gap along the starboard side of the strut and at the back as well.

I am thinking I will try a flat washer along the aft and starboard bolts, leaving the front three port side bolts flush against the hull, then tighten up and see how it sits before I bed it. If it is still not centered well I will use some thick glass mat with poly resin (dries quick and I am working against gravity). No big deal, but hope the washers work well enough
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Hi Guys,
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
TT Regular

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 X Star that slips/misses as soon as it goes above 3600rpm. I have added videos on youtube to show what the taco is doing.

Am i having the same problem?

At first i thought it may have been dirty fuel, fuel filter or fuel pump??

This video is from idle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUXfXdh09Q

And this one is from 3200rpm up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4WTp9-h7U
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar, 205,1997,275 Hp Indmar
If the transmission was slipping would it gain revs not lose them ????
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 AM
TT Regular

Yeah good call!

So fuel? (Pump or filter)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
First one is a little tool I made out of a PVC adapter, bushing, and dremel tool to hold the shaft in the middle of the log while I mess with the strut.
First, try and see if you can grind the bottom of the strut to get the alignment to the log closer. You dont need to be perfectly centered in the log- just fairly close. So long as youre not rubbing, youre fine- the log hose will take up the slight misalignment. Make sure you align the powertrain to where the shaft spins freely in the strut (not necessarily centered in the log).

Try and limit the number of washers you put under the base of the strut- and dont put too much thickened resin under there either, if you can help it.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 X Star that slips/misses as soon as it goes above 3600rpm. I have added videos on youtube to show what the taco is doing.
Your boat has a taco???

I agree definitely doesn't act like a trans issue. I'd start by giving it a full service and see what happens