Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If bypassing the lanyard doesn't solve this issue, you will need to follow the path of the dreaded purple wire and inspect, clean and apply dielectric grease to all connectors this passes through. A little corrosion at a connector has the potential to open the circuit in the same way as the tether switch can.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: In the hunt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
Also, listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key on during the problem. You should hear the electric fuel pump run for a couple of seconds. If it doesn't, it is probably the lanyard not letting voltage get to the pump.

Search this site on "lanyard switch bypass" and you will find plenty of info.
Yeah the fuel pump WAS NOT running.

Awesome, I'll look it up.. Hope to see you out on the lake... Hopefully, without you towing me off of it =)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If bypassing the lanyard doesn't solve this issue, you will need to follow the path of the dreaded purple wire and inspect, clean and apply dielectric grease to all connectors this passes through. A little corrosion at a connector has the potential to open the circuit in the same way as the tether switch can.
Haha, so I take it this is a semi-common problem for older boats? That is another concern of mine (corrosion). I bought the boat in TX and the original owner had it in GA and their is lots of rust on it...
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96prostar190 View Post
Haha, so I take it this is a semi-common problem for older boats? That is another concern of mine (corrosion). I bought the boat in TX and the original owner had it in GA and their is lots of rust on it...
The lanyard issue isn't just a MC problem. Any application of the lanyard eventually results in it's failure. Our Evinrude outboard lanyard died, a friend's snowmobile had one that died....... As far as corrosion goes, it is a never-ending nemesis to the used boat owner. I think I have finally taken care of every electrical and mechanical connection in my '77. Time to start over to stay ahead of the corrosion this time. Buy a big tube of dielectric grease and use it on every electrical connection. Don't need a lot, but it makes a huge difference.

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
The lanyard issue isn't just a MC problem. Any application of the lanyard eventually results in it's failure. Our Evinrude outboard lanyard died, a friend's snowmobile had one that died....... As far as corrosion goes, it is a never-ending nemesis to the used boat owner. I think I have finally taken care of every electrical and mechanical connection in my '77. Time to start over to stay ahead of the corrosion this time. Buy a big tube of dielectric grease and use it on every electrical connection. Don't need a lot, but it makes a huge difference.
Ok, that's great advice!! I couldn't agree more with keeping ahead. I will do that for sure.

Do you think just disconnecting the purple wire is a good idea? and not to sound like a total idiot, when people refer to the "purple wire" they are talking about the wire that is attached to the kill switch, correct?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Ok, that's great advice!! I couldn't agree more with keeping ahead. I will do that for sure.

Do you think just disconnecting the purple wire is a good idea? and not to sound like a total idiot, when people refer to the "purple wire" they are talking about the wire that is attached to the kill switch, correct?
You can't just disconnect it. The purple wire is basically the ignition wire. The lanyard is designed to interrupt the circuit and shut down the boat if you are ejected from the boat, however, I don't know anyone who actually attaches the lanyard to themselves while driving. If you are going to bypass it, remove the lanyard switch and take the two purple wires off it and connect them together with a butt splice or marrette.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
You can't just disconnect it. The purple wire is basically the ignition wire. The lanyard is designed to interrupt the circuit and shut down the boat if you are ejected from the boat, however, I don't know anyone who actually attaches the lanyard to themselves while driving. If you are going to bypass it, remove the lanyard switch and take the two purple wires off it and connect them together with a butt splice or marrette.
That makes sense, I'll have to pop it off tomorrow and take a look at exactly what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
Quote:
That makes sense, I'll have to pop it off tomorrow and take a look at exactly what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the help!!
Now we're getting there.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Agree it is probably somewhere in the ignition. If you are pretty sure gauges "failed" or were experiencing problems, you might need to go back further than the kill switch.

My 91' has a wire that comes from the engine wire harness to the switch pannel. I had a problem with it coming loose in rough water and killing the motor. (not good in 30mph winds and big waves)
Needed to tighten the spade connection.

My point is, you may chase this for a while, keep tools and electrical connectors on the boat if you dont usually..
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Agree it is probably somewhere in the ignition. If you are pretty sure gauges "failed" or were experiencing problems, you might need to go back further than the kill switch.

My 91' has a wire that comes from the engine wire harness to the switch pannel. I had a problem with it coming loose in rough water and killing the motor. (not good in 30mph winds and big waves)
Needed to tighten the spade connection.

My point is, you may chase this for a while, keep tools and electrical connectors on the boat if you dont usually..
That's what I've figured out haha! Time to keep connectors on the boat!! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Tags
alternator, electrical problems, electrical wiring