Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
Looks identical to my '89. In my case the solution was to remove all the glass on top of the shaft log, reattach the log to the hull with epoxy and glass over the whole assembly. Took 4 -6 hours and it's been working great for several years.
My '89 is doing the same thing, I bought the West Systems materials this summer but never got around to fixing it.

I should replace my shaft log, it's been there since new and while I'm at it might pull the shaft and replace cutlass bearing too.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
My '89 is doing the same thing, I bought the West Systems materials this summer but never got around to fixing it.

I should replace my shaft log, it's been there since new and while I'm at it might pull the shaft and replace cutlass bearing too.
You may not have to replace the shaft log (it's not a part that wears) Dropping the shaft and replacing the cutlass bearings is a good idea. The shaft may get in the way of this repair anyhow. Especially if you have the Powerslot transmission.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 mastercraft prostar 190
Ok so my OCD was getting to me and I picked the boat up at the fiberglass shop yesterday. After all I've done to the boats I've restored it made no sense to let somebody else make this repair. I got started on it today and will post pics of my progress. I got the log cut out and all old fiberglass removed. I cleaned the surrounding area really well and have the log epoxied back in. I will lay the fiberglass mat tomorrow. All is going well!!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Log removed from hull
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Area cleaned up
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Test fitting log in old footprint
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Log epoxied back in place
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by reftech View Post
Ok so my OCD was getting to me and I picked the boat up at the fiberglass shop yesterday. After all I've done to the boats I've restored it made no sense to let somebody else make this repair. I got started on it today and will post pics of my progress. I got the log cut out and all old fiberglass removed. I cleaned the surrounding area really well and have the log epoxied back in. I will lay the fiberglass mat tomorrow. All is going well!!
Yes, MC-OCD prevails...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by reftech View Post
Boy, does that look familiar! I was a little intimidated by the job at first, but it's not that bad once you get into it. I used polyester for the final glass work, but I think epoxy might be better. What are you using?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Tph I agree 100 percent! I kinda freaked out at first that's why I took it to the fiberglass guy but this job really hasn't been bad! I'm using epoxy on the entire job with high density filler added to bond the log to the hull.its going really well!
Attached Images