Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
vision's Avatar
vision vision is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Location: Cary NC, Lake Gaston
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
The problem with the G23, minus how big it is, is that it turns like a bus compared to the Star or most other boats for that matter and is also a gas hog. It uses twice as much fuel as a Star. I understand about price of boats and who cares about price of gas, but that means you have to fill it up twice as much over the season. I don't know about you, but that is the biggest pain.
My G23 burns slightly less fuel than my previous X-star. Around 6.5 gph with 3000 lbs of ballast.
__________________
2008 X star, 2005 X2
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
FourFourty's Avatar
FourFourty FourFourty is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
My G23 burns slightly less fuel than my previous X-star. Around 6.5 gph with 3000 lbs of ballast.
Seriously?? We def burned a lot more than that.... I expect my star will burn quite a bit too. I certainly won't be surprised at 8.5gph or more with a boat that heavy....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 PM
vision's Avatar
vision vision is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Location: Cary NC, Lake Gaston
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Seriously?? We def burned a lot more than that.... I expect my star will burn quite a bit too. I certainly won't be surprised at 8.5gph or more with a boat that heavy....
I track gph closely, mostly looking for any early signs of engine performance changes. G with 450 engine gets around 5 gph unballasted and cruising and 6.5 gph ballasted. I am sure the supercharged engine sucks more gas.

The G drafts 4" less than my xstar and its hull is bizarre. It seems to "surf" across the water when unweighted. Perhaps this improves unballasted fuel efficiency. Plus, the tab assist in almost all new boats likely helps gph compared to prev models.
__________________
2008 X star, 2005 X2
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
FourFourty's Avatar
FourFourty FourFourty is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
I track gph closely, mostly looking for any early signs of engine performance changes. G with 450 engine gets around 5 gph unballasted and cruising and 6.5 gph ballasted. I am sure the supercharged engine sucks more gas.

The G drafts 4" less than my xstar and its hull is bizarre. It seems to "surf" across the water when unweighted. Perhaps this improves unballasted fuel efficiency. Plus, the tab assist in almost all new boats likely helps gph compared to prev models.


Gotcha! Not bad at all! I doubt my new star will be anywhere near that good (7.4l). My X25 w/LS3 was excellent..... Right around 5gph surfing.

Come to think of it, the nautique 450hp is an LS3 as well, right?? In that case, I am not so surprised that it gets that kind of fuel economy. GenIV SBCs are excellent on fuel!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Aric'sX15's Avatar
Aric'sX15 Aric'sX15 is online now
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: 85' S&S
Location: DFDUB
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
My G23 burns slightly less fuel than my previous X-star. Around 6.5 gph with 3000 lbs of ballast.
Any pics of your g23? Surprised at the 6.5 gph. Need to start calculating my 15s. Seems like I burn more than 5.5 an hour.
__________________
"if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Nordicron Nordicron is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Any pics of your g23? Surprised at the 6.5 gph. Need to start calculating my 15s. Seems like I burn more than 5.5 an hour.
Yeah I think it's all a matter how people calculate their hours. I prob use 6-7gph on my SAN 210 loaded with 2500lbs.

I plan on doing a better job this year writing down engine hrs vs fills.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM
willyt's Avatar
willyt willyt is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: ER xstar
Location: high in the middle and round on both ends
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Come to think of it, the nautique 450hp is an LS3 as well, right?? In that case, I am not so surprised that it gets that kind of fuel economy. GenIV SBCs are excellent on fuel!
nope. PCM's ZR450 is L96 based, not LS3. that engine's displacement = 6L, LS3's is 6.2
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
FourFourty's Avatar
FourFourty FourFourty is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
nope. PCM's ZR450 is L96 based, not LS3. that engine's displacement = 6L, LS3's is 6.2
ah.... I guess i assumed that the 409 was an L96, and the 450 was LS3. They don't say on the site, so I went to PCMs site, and it is, in fact, a tweaked L96. Having a hard time believing 5.5gph with that base engine. The LS3 may have been plausable, a GenIII L96 is not IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
willyt's Avatar
willyt willyt is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: ER xstar
Location: high in the middle and round on both ends
Posts: 1,858
Yeah, at least power-plant wise, ilmor > Indmar > PCM
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 5,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Massively disagree. G23 is possibly the ugliest boat ive ever seen. Looks like a beached whale!
......I have to agree. I just went to the antique website to look at it again.......and that thing is really bad. I don't like MC's two point tower, it just looks incomplete unless the bimini is up, and don't even try to put one of those on a 214. But that tower on the antique is built over in China.....and it looks like it. It is awful. The boat is this big hulking thing....with this itty bitty tower sitting on the gunnel.....and the 25 makes it seem even smaller. NOTHING sleek about either of those two boats.

Last edited by captain planet; 03-07-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.