Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Got more done today. Installed the starter, oil pressure sensor, and cleaned up the drive shaft seal. I also painted the pick up loops for the engine and will bolt them on this weekend. The fuel/water separator cap was also painted.

A package came today from skidim.com, it has 2 transmission hoses, a raw water pump impellar, and thermostat. I ordered a new drive shaft with coupler, it should be coming in towards the mid to end of next week. Also, I got my second-hand alternator tested. It checks out, so I dont have to spend $150-$200 bucks on a new marine alternator as of now. Working hard to get this thing together asap!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Check out what came in!

I have to get some carpeting done and I can work on getting the beast into the boat. I found a steel fab shop not far from the house that has a fork lift. They agreed to help me get my motor into the boat. I was hoping for this week, but that doesnt look like it will happen. Maybe next.

I started tearing into the carb. It def needed it. Im still not sure if Ill end up replacing with a new one or not. For now Ill try to rebuild this 4160. Its a learning opportunity.

I got another coat of paint down on the bilge too.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If you need any assistance on the rebuild, I will be more than happy to assist. The most important part is to soak it long enough.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you need any assistance on the rebuild, I will be more than happy to assist. The most important part is to soak it long enough.
I likely will need some help along the way. I have just about all the parts soaking now. I did take the plates in the 4 barrels apart and stripped the screws in the process, in hindsight, I probably should have just left those alone. Live and learn. Does this create a big problem or are the screws easily replaced? Im hoping all the parts that I need to replace are in the kit I got. There are little snap rings/clips that hold stuff in place that are really small and some are quite corroded, i think they need to be replaced.

As I get going, Ill be asking other questions along the way.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkorep2 View Post
I likely will need some help along the way. I have just about all the parts soaking now. I did take the plates in the 4 barrels apart and stripped the screws in the process, in hindsight, I probably should have just left those alone. Live and learn. Does this create a big problem or are the screws easily replaced? Im hoping all the parts that I need to replace are in the kit I got. There are little snap rings/clips that hold stuff in place that are really small and some are quite corroded, i think they need to be replaced.

As I get going, Ill be asking other questions along the way.
All the small parts are in the kit. Any stripped screws need to be replaced. Check locally for them. I found the screws here http://www.aedperformance.com/Replacement%20Parts.htm

You might give Holley Tech a call. The stock screws should be cheaper. 270-781-9741

LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
I'll let you practice on your carb. When your up to it I'll send mine your way!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
All the small parts are in the kit. Any stripped screws need to be replaced. Check locally for them. I found the screws here http://www.aedperformance.com/Replacement%20Parts.htm

You might give Holley Tech a call. The stock screws should be cheaper. 270-781-9741
I found a guy in town that had them. He ask, "Whyd you take them out?" I replied, "Cause Im an idiot and didnt know any better." and in his grand father tone he said, "Welp, you're in a predicament arent you? Lets see if I can bail you out". He gave be 4 screws, 2 went in right away, the other 2 are being stubborn. I will get back to it next week. The Fuel Bowls are in place and a few other things are together on it too. Im having trouble understanding how the electric choke works. The diagram I have for reassembly is for a mechanical choke. I have a spring, and I didnt take close enough photos to understand the intricacies of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA Boater View Post
I'll let you practice on your carb. When your up to it I'll send mine your way!
In general it doesnt seem to be that big a deal really. Just dont take the screws out of the valves in the baseplate! I could give it a go if you want, but by no means am I willing to give you a guarantee of proper function afterwards. Lets find out how mine ends up working and I may change my mind.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

I got the carb almost completely back together. I have to get another choke cap and then that part can be reassembled. I finished applying a coat of bilge paint to the rest of the floor in the boat. It looks nice, kinda a shame I have to cover it with carpet. I also installed the shaft seal, its not a big deal, I just mostly wanted to see what it looked like. I havent ordered carpet yet, looking for a good deal I guess.

here are some updated pics.

Carb with a few missing things:

Carb underside:

Shaft seal:

Painted Floor:

The choke and vacuum pump for the secondary are what is left to attach on the carb.
I might order carpet tonight.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Maybe it's just the angle, but the accelerator pump arm doesn't appear to be square with the bolt it mates with. Might want to double check all is right here.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Maybe it's just the angle, but the accelerator pump arm doesn't appear to be square with the bolt it mates with. Might want to double check all is right here.
No its not the angle, its not square, but Im not really sure why? And Im not sure what effect this will have if any on the function?

Maybe you could enlighten me? On of the other things Ive noticed is that the butterfly valves, the primary ones move very freely until I want to close them, then they seem to bind up a little somewhere. Im pretty sure that is an issue that needs to be addressed.