Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1973 MC Skier and 1970 MC Skier
Thumbs up

Nice find. There can be some water seep in around the swim platform brackets. Check and see if all are tight. Make sure they are not stripped out. If you remove the brackets for wet-sanding or storage make sure you clear silicon around the brackets and the heads of the bolts. This will prevent seepage into any of the foam..etc. It seems over time on some boats the swim brackets pull loose. To properly fix you can remove the fuel tank and cut an access holes to put a backer plate and fix it properly. Some choose to add removable swim platform brackets. Nice find and you own a "Skier 19" ProStar name came in 1987.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
I'm pretty sure your platform is bolted on like an 85. My 83 was lagged (early model with wood stringers) my buddy had an identical, but mid year 83 with fiberglass stringers. I don't know if his platform was lagged or bolted. I never took the tank (aluminum like my 83), so I'm not sure about 84. Some 84's (probably mid year) had plastic tanks like the 85's. the gas cap was on the drivers side for aluminum tanks and passenger side for plastic.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1973 MC Skier and 1970 MC Skier
86 models were bolted. I have personally removed the platform on two.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Thanks for the comments and all the input guys. I'm definitely a little more educated! Kudos to occva for spotting the keychain, it was up on the dash but I thru it in for the pic to see if anyone would notice it I'll have a lot more questions when I jump into my new project. Spent the last two days prepping the truck & my 96' PS for a two week trip to Okeeheelee,FL. Should be there sat. Or sun. I'll send a pic of my MC along side a dock full of Nautiques!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I saw it, but it looked like it was the newer font, not the original decal that would've come on the boat. Maybe I'm wrong, it wasn't easy to see very clearly. Platform should be bolted as was stated. No wood stringers to draw a lag bolt into.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes
I am restoring my 1980 and FB Mastercraft Project is the best place to find everything Stars & Stripes. Here is what I am working on now!file://localhost/Users/Duke/Desktop/...ack/index.html
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Previous owner ran the boat with both exhaust manifolds leaking trashing the bolts holding them on. I figure addressing the manifold bolts and two busted spark plugs would be easier with the heads off so I proceed to try to remove the heads. Now i find that some of the external head bolts are different sizes due to all the corrosion. Port side head removal goes as planned, starboard side doesn't. Of course it's the last bolt I need to hammer a socket onto the headbolt but can't with the manifold in place so I decided to remove the manifold with the trusty old lump hammer! Really hoping I can save these heads.
Name:  head.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  94.6 KB

Rest of the boat looks pretty good. Thought I could save the carpet but that was a no go. Having a hot water hose is the bomb for cleanig a nasty bilge on a cold day. Anyone know the reason for the patches in the floor?
Name:  boat.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Amazing what a can of worms one gets into with a used boat.

If you can't save the heads, it will be easier to justify GT-40P heads.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Cylinder Heads

I still have my old heads from an '88 351W.
One is in great shape and usable, but the other had a minor leak at #8 cylinder.
Not sure if they would work for you or not or if both of your heads are trashed. The one in the picture doesn't look salvable to me, but you never know what a good machine shop could do with them. I don't remember the casting numbers on my heads, but let me know if you're interested in them.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyOrange88 View Post
I still have my old heads from an '88 351W.
One is in great shape and usable, but the other had a minor leak at #8 cylinder.
Not sure if they would work for you or not or if both of your heads are trashed. The one in the picture doesn't look salvable to me, but you never know what a good machine shop could do with them. I don't remember the casting numbers on my heads, but let me know if you're interested in them.
Thanks MikeyOrange! I'll PM you if I'm going to take you up on the offer. Where in the Southeast are you? I'm driving to FL. in the next week or so.

Well my machinist buddie was off to the races with the head, then he broke out the needle scaler and presto! my heads are no good Amazing that such a heavy casting can rot from the outdide in. This project could be a bust, buy a set of heads, gaskets, misc stuff and i'm halfway to the cost of a jasper motor with no guarentee. Go the jasper route, new carpet, interior, and i sell someone a sweet boat but don't make a profit. Arrgh!

Here's some before and after pics of the head.
Name:  head.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  head2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  98.0 KB