Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Wakesetter
Price this 06 X2 I'm looking at

Wife and I have been passively looking at boats for the past year, and are really kind of looking for a deal on something used, PerfectPass and V-Drive.

We looked at this 06 X2 this weekend. 401 hrs of Salt water use, stored outdoors with a poorly fitting cover. Mechanic maintaned bi-annually.
MCX
Closed cooling system (nice fresh coolant in the closed cooling system)
Stock Free air sub, and stereo
4 factory tower speakers (2 with lights)
No heater
PP wakeboard Pro
No cover (beat to heck)
Snapout carpet is tired
Hard tanks, fly high bags plummed in on top.
Ballast sending units seem inoperable (seems like that is normal)
Galvanized Trailer (fenders need buffed, guide poles bent, trailer brakes need work)
Fiberglass platform (needs new pad)

The boat essentially looks tired from the salt. Everything besides the ballast tank gauges works great. The billet has some water spots on it, but mostly looks like it'll clean up. It was flushed everytime it was pulled out of the water. The interior looks about midlife, and needs some scrubbing. It's a darker Gel pattern that definitely needs some wetsanding. As said before, we're kind of looking for a deal on a boat, since we really don't have an immediate need to upgrade. I've seen 2006+ X2's from 30k to 50k. What would you pay?

Last edited by Dylan; 03-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Pic:

Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Do all pumps, stereo, PP etc work correctly? Also, what kind of shape is the trailer in? If it is in salt water, the the salt can eat it from the inside out. Was the boat on a lift or taken out of the water every time and stored on the trailer? I am assuming it was stored outside bc of the shape of the cover.

If it were me, I would say between 30-35K, but not more than that, assuming all the work that has to potentially be done. Salt water can really take a toll. Did you notice any pitting in the tower at all?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
I would be around the $32k range. Salt can be scarey, but can also get you a great deal.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Do all pumps, stereo, PP etc work correctly? Also, what kind of shape is the trailer in? If it is in salt water, the the salt can eat it from the inside out. Was the boat on a lift or taken out of the water every time and stored on the trailer? I am assuming it was stored outside bc of the shape of the cover.

If it were me, I would say between 30-35K, but not more than that, assuming all the work that has to potentially be done. Salt water can really take a toll. Did you notice any pitting in the tower at all?
Trailer needs brake rotors at a minimum. Fluid looked good, and you can tell it was serviced regularily. However even with it being galvanized you can still tell it was salt used.

I'm trying to get this guy in the same ballpark as far as money before I even waste his time on a water test, or take it to my mechanic for a once over (about 45 miles away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
I would be around the $32k range. Salt can be scarey, but can also get you a great deal.
Right and that is my thinking. Around here all the boats have been salt dunked. I do have to say after being on a few boats that were salt water used, this one has looked the best.

Last edited by Dylan; 03-04-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
I've got a 2006 Maristar 200 SS-which was the salt water version of the X-2 in 2006. The main difference is that mine came with the closed cooled 5.7L Crusader. It sounds like the owners may have retrofitted the closed cooling on the MCX for salt water use? Does the boat have sacrificial anodes? Careful about thinking the billet will polish out. My boat had less than 50 hours of salt water use when I bought it, but those white looking spots probably won't polish out completely. On the speaker cans the salt had eaten through the clear anodizing-pretty much no way to fix that. The tower and board racks do a little better because they are not anodized, but I've spent a bunch of time polishing mine and I still notice where the salt was left to sit (purely asthetic). I bought my 2006 with 48 hours in August of 2008 for $42K-it was a little more loaded than the boat you're looking at. Mine came with the galvanized trailer that I had to replace the actuator on last summer. I'm going to tear into the trailer some more this summer once my boats in the water-salt is really tough on trailers.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
The tower and board racks do a little better because they are not anodized, but I've spent a bunch of time polishing mine and I still notice where the salt was left to sit (purely asthetic).
incorrect - tower and all components are anodized
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
what do a pair of good running shoes cost? 120 bucks?

yeah, $120
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
I've got a 2006 Maristar 200 SS-which was the salt water version of the X-2 in 2006. The main difference is that mine came with the closed cooled 5.7L Crusader. It sounds like the owners may have retrofitted the closed cooling on the MCX for salt water use? Does the boat have sacrificial anodes? Careful about thinking the billet will polish out. My boat had less than 50 hours of salt water use when I bought it, but those white looking spots probably won't polish out completely. On the speaker cans the salt had eaten through the clear anodizing-pretty much no way to fix that. The tower and board racks do a little better because they are not anodized, but I've spent a bunch of time polishing mine and I still notice where the salt was left to sit (purely asthetic). I bought my 2006 with 48 hours in August of 2008 for $42K-it was a little more loaded than the boat you're looking at. Mine came with the galvanized trailer that I had to replace the actuator on last summer. I'm going to tear into the trailer some more this summer once my boats in the water-salt is really tough on trailers.
I actually read some of your posts when I searched I believe, and I really appreciate your input. It is indeed a retrofitted MCX. I was fully expecting to drive up there and see that bright blue crusader engine.

I definitely see those small white circles, which I believe were water spots. Could that be the annodizing failing?

Also, have you had any of the electronics fail? I ask because that is my biggest concern. My only experience with salt water boats has been sailboats when I was younger, so not really a great source.

This boat was kept out of the water, and never in a slip. Seems like it was hosed off really well. No annodes on the rudder I could see, but other than it was slightly dull, all the underwater gear looked fully functional and not pitted at all. I checked it very carefully. All the fluids looked fresh as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Here are a couple of pictures of the speaker cans that came with my boat:

The dark marks are where the salt broke through the clear coat and got down to the aluminum underneath. On my speakers once this happens then you can't really polish it out. It's just cosmetic and unless I point it out no one really notices. I haven't had any of the electronics fail because of the previous salt water use. My boat does have zincs on the rudder, shaft and heat exchangers. The salt water boats in 2006 had these upgraded wiring, stainless hardware, built in flush kit and raw water strainer.