Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Not sure on when it was last bailed but it gets treated about once each month from what I was told. I actually just got a call from the contractor stating that the gas kicked off today, so it looks like I spoke too soon in my earlier post. I am going to take the Little Joe off and try pouring alcohol into it to get rid of any condensation and see what happens.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
Is the 500 foot run underground?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
Is the 500 foot run underground?
Yes, all but the last 3 feet or so on either end are below ground at least 24 inches (had to go 24 inches in spots to avoid hitting burried oil well lines.)
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

As promised, here are some pics of the set-up we have, I apologize for the poor quality, I was taking these last night while there trying to clean the Little Joe with alcohol.

In looking at it last night, I noted the well head gauge was reading 60psi then the line goes to the Little Joe after which we have another gauge which was only ready 5-6psi before the line heads over to the drip tank and meter after which it goes into the 500 foot run to the house where it hits the pancake regulator prior to entering the house.
So, I shut the gas off, pulled off the Little Joe and poured some alcohol into it then poured it back out and repeated the process again, trying to get any possible condensation out of it. When I pulled off the Little Joe I noticed that the plastic/round end which enters the pipe to restrict the flow of gas, had about a 1 inch long narrow piece of plastic coming off of it, I actually thought it was an icicle at first but it wasn't, it kinda looked like a deformed portion of the restrictor plate. I did not get a pic of it but will do so tomorrow.
Long story short, I put everything back together and the gas ran without issue all night and so far all day today. I am not sure what to make of the 5-6psi reading that I am getting after the Little Joe as that was originally set at 12psi but I did not want to mess with it as it was running fine......we will see what tomorrow brings!

Any thoughts. Is 5-6psi good enough to send thru the line to run the furnace?
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 Prostar and 08 X2
I know with water when you do a long run of 1" pipe at the outlet end you will have the same pressure but very little volume. When many of your gas appliances use at the same time could your available volume drop so low your safety valve is closing.

Does gas work this way??
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I set up 2000 horsepower and larger engines on less than 2 lbs of gas... just need a big enough pipe!

As long as you still have 5-6 pounds under load then you should be fine. Just depends on the ability of the regulator to flow enough volume.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Most wells I service use 2" piping at the well head,I have never seen a little joe,all the ones I work on use sprague reducing valves,the bigger the pipe dia. the better.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Most of the wells I service have 2" piping at the well head,I have`nt seen the little joe reg,we use sprague regulators.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 AM
MC Devotee

So, I spent some time educating myself on the way wells work, etc. and while I am no expert, between the advice I've gotten hear and what I have gathered from other sources, I feel better about messing with things.

So, went out to the well head on Tuesday evening and while the pressure gauge coming off the well head was reading nearlu 60psi, the one after the gas passes thru the Little Joe Regulator was only reading 2-3psi. This gauge just seemed very odd and looked like it did not work right so I shut everything down and removed it.....after taking all pressure off of the gauge and reseting it, it never moved from the 2-3, in fact I dropped it once and it went up to about 6 and stayed there for a while. So, I went to Lowes, bought a new gauge, put it on, turned the gas valves back on and the new gauge did not move. I proceeded to adjust the Little Joe slowly from where the oil company rep had it set and the pressure started to rise on the gauge so I stopped it at 11psi and I have not had a problem since.

Moral of the story....if you are going to judge the pressure in your line by a gauge, better make sure it works properly!!!!! (At least that is what I am going with today but I do feel more confident that I found the problem).