Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
I decided to put the hose which will fill/drain the KGB on the starboard side and to mount the related 3 way valve (KGB/bow bags) behind the drivers seat. That way I later can add another pump and use this 3 way valve to either fill the bow bags or another bag (kind of a P&P set-up) in case it takes too long filling KGB and the bow bags with one pump. We will see. I therefore let the old hose which fills/drains KGB in there. In case I need a 4th pump I would use that hose to fill/drain KGB as it was before the upgrade.

I'm now waiting for my order to be shipped. Spencer told me they are waiting for some more valves to be shipped to them.

Regarding the location of the pumps I decided to put them under the silent master mounted horizontally. If there is a leak the water can go downwards into the bilge, originally one pump is mounted vertically with the impeller facing upwards so I don't think this problem occurs very often. Well, there is a risk of flooding them but I'll care about that when it's time to do so.

Picture shows the new hose attached to the KGB. It comes from the 3 way valve which will be mounted behind the drivers seat, goes under the cockpit and from there to the KGB.
Attached Images

Last edited by XStar08; 03-01-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
originally one pump is mounted vertically with the impeller facing upwards so I don't think this problem occurs very often.
You'd be surprised just how often it happens.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well, the last 4 seasons (650 hours) nothing happened. We will see, at least now it's better than it was...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
Well, the last 4 seasons (650 hours) nothing happened. We will see, at least now it's better than it was...
Well I hope you get another 4 seasons out of it. I'm sure the pump was not run for 650 hours.

My boat had less then a 100 hours on the pump that was mounted upside down went bad. I ended up making amount to turn it over and push it out a bit so the hoses would clear the other pumps.

Keep in mind that if you do flip the pump over you'll need to change the two wires on the switch that provide the power to the relays on that pump. If you don't the pump with work in reverse.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

So, finally stuff arrived and I'll be able to proceed with uprading the system. Can't wait to complete. Will post pics asap.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ok, tonight I installed the Y valves. Found out that the purchased hose will not fit the valves and fittings ordered, both are 1" :-(

One Y valve (KGB/bow bags) is now mounted between the two cup holders on the right side of the drivers seat, the other two (rear tanks/rear bags) where mounted in the left respective right corner of the rear lockers.

The plan is to use one pump to fill drain KGB/bow bags, one pump for the starboard and one for the port bag (I don't plan on using the rear tanks often). That is the reason why I decided to have one Y valve installed near the driver, that way I can easely switch between KGB and bow bags since these two I plan to use on a regular basis.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is a picture of the front valve installation. Since the hose doen't fit yet, there is no reason for installing it finally...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

In my 2008 XStar there are two through hull intakes, one with two pumps connected, one with one. The question now is where to connect the pump filling the KGB/bow bags. I assume that the KGB is relatively large. Does anybody know how large it is?

My two bow bags are rated 420 each. The two rear bags are 750 each.

Do you think there is a difference in using one pump per through hull/two pumps per through hull regarding fill time.

The backup plan is (in case it turns out to take too long filling the KGB and the two bow bags with one pump each after each) to have a fourth pump installed. The front Y valve would then serve as kind of p&p outlet with a separate quick connect fitting installed in the cockpit to add another bag for surfing.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is another picture taken during the installation process...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

And here is one with the "both sides view"...
Attached Images