Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205

Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMIKE View Post
I bought a paddleboard, mine last year cost $1,200 and that included the paddle.
A friend of mine bought several the other day, guess he has a lot of friends.
Maybe I'll get to use one sometime ...
Attached Images

Last edited by atlfootr; 06-07-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
I'm off to San Diego tomorrow and I think I'm going to rent a paddle board and put my 4 year old on it and cruise the shoreline in the bay!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Wasn't very impressed the first time I paddle boarded at Lake Tahoe a couple summers ago. Snagged a SUPAtx for $750 at the beginning of last summer with intent to use for cardio and core strengthen - kind of like New Year's gym membership that never gets used.... Except, I started paddle boarding most weekend mornings when buddies weren't available to go out in boat. I've found it to be a very enjoyable when the waters calm early in day. Consider it an acquired taste type of activity for cruising around when conditions are conducive. Not for everybody, but definitely some folks will "get it" and enjoy chillin on the big board when not jump waves on wakeboard or wake surfing behind the boat.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
I was very skeptical of them but my wife wanted to take a couple of them down to Lake Powell last year for our two weeks. I reluctantly called a friend who rents them and he hocked me up with a couple of them. They were never not being used from sun up til sundown. I went out with my wife for about an hour everyday and it was a great time and a good workout. I have since used them in Mexico to surf and that was a blast. Most likely will be purchasing a couple this summer as my daughters are always asking if I can go grab a couple from my buddy for them to use on a lake in a subdivision that is very close that no power boats are allowed on.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Finally tried it myself in Cozumel during our January cruise. There are several places to rent them here in Austin so I'll try it a few more times before buying one. Found it good for balancing with the slow speed.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
My 9 year old has been wanting to try a stand up paddle board. I am thinking it might be fun for midday when we are usually not in the boat. Any input would be appreciated. Is it something she (and the rest of us) will likely do more than a few times? I realize it depends on the individual, but what has been the experience of the TT crew?

There is one on Craigslist that I figure could be had for under $500. It appears that SUP ATX is lower end.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I bought a YOLO board about 7 months ago after being initially skeptical. While it was initially fun and unique, I mainly use it now for exercise (you get out of it what you put into it -- 30+ minutes of steady strong paddling is a pretty decent upper body and aerobic workout). But, for me, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. If it wasn't for the workout aspect of it, I probably wouldn't use it much at all.

I don't know about kids, but it seems like one of those things that a kid would get bored with after a few tries. I wouldn't call it "fun" in the same sense as skiing, surfing, etc.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
I bought a YOLO board about 7 months ago after being initially skeptical. While it was initially fun and unique, I mainly use it now for exercise (you get out of it what you put into it -- 30+ minutes of steady strong paddling is a pretty decent upper body and aerobic workout). But, for me, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. If it wasn't for the workout aspect of it, I probably wouldn't use it much at all.

I don't know about kids, but it seems like one of those things that a kid would get bored with after a few tries. I wouldn't call it "fun" in the same sense as skiing, surfing, etc.
Thanks, it sounds like I might just need to rent one for the day and let her get it out of her system. She sees other kids on them in the cove and wants to do it. Being a solo activity, I'm sure she would tire of it quickly. She is the chatty one in the family.