Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
pap pap is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 190
Why batteries in the port locker??

Ordered a new X30. One of the things I hate about my current boat is that dual batteries in the PSL takes up a huge amount of space. I've seen people who relocated their batteries elsewhere and generally thought it made a lot of sense and looked a lot better.

For the life of me I can't see why MC takes up this valuable space that is the easiest to get to with batteries (getting dual batteries as factory install). On top of that, the battery switch is back in the rear port side bench area.

Has anyone else moved the batteries from the PSL on a brand new boat? Will the factory consider putting them anywhere else? I just don't get it!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post

For the life of me I can't see why MC takes up this valuable space that is the easiest to get to with batteries (getting dual batteries as factory install). On top of that, the battery switch is back in the rear port side bench area.
1. Back in the old ski boats, they had them back by the gas tanks and a popular mod was to move them up to the spot under the observer seat. Less chance of spark/boom.

2. As for why port side, I presume it is to help offset driver weight. I realize this may be less of a concern with the ballast adjustability of wake boats. But it might be a throwback to how it has been done since the mid nineties.

Mine is beneath the floor (different manufacturer). But I am limited in the battery groups I can use that will fit that space.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Rockman's Avatar
Rockman Rockman is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Location: SW Burbs of Chi-Town
Posts: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
1. Back in the old ski boats, they had them back by the gas tanks and a popular mod was to move them up to the spot under the observer seat. Less chance of spark/boom.
Doug, ours is like that now (next to the tank)...sb an easy re-run of wires to the front, correct?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,801
It is about the best spot to put them with respect to distance between the significant loads that they service IMO. Engine, helm, stereo amps.
Mine dont really take up much room, well about as much as 2 batteries sitting next to each other, lol!
Rear lockers are a bad spot, where most people add ballast as well as always wet in those environments, no room in the engine bay.
You can put them anywhere you want with relative ease if they would suit you better elsewhere. Just need enough of the right size wire.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Doug, ours is like that now (next to the tank)...sb an easy re-run of wires to the front, correct?
I don't know. I never bothered. I just flinched every time I reconnected the negative battery cable. Must have had a short somewhere. Not surprised. Still here, though. I imagine you could just pull them through and figure out a way to reroute them to the locker. Length doesn't seem like it would be a problem.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Rockman's Avatar
Rockman Rockman is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Location: SW Burbs of Chi-Town
Posts: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I don't know. I never bothered. I just flinched every time I reconnected the negative battery cable. Must have had a short somewhere. Not surprised. Still here, though. I imagine you could just pull them through and figure out a way to reroute them to the locker. Length doesn't seem like it would be a problem.
Now that was funny!

The battery being in the rear gives me more strorage up front. There is a hole in the fiberglass between the engine compartment and the front storage compartment...guess it would be for a drain in case I used the front compartment as a cooler or something...so I could run the wires through that...

Having the battery in the rear next to the gas tank does not make me too comfortable as the cut out in the floor only allows for the battery and not a plastic battery box...I guess the next best thing to do if I do not re-route the battery to the front is to just use the lid for the battery box and make sure it covers the terminals well enough...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Now that was funny!

The battery being in the rear gives me more strorage up front. There is a hole in the fiberglass between the engine compartment and the front storage compartment...guess it would be for a drain in case I used the front compartment as a cooler or something...so I could run the wires through that...

Having the battery in the rear next to the gas tank does not make me too comfortable as the cut out in the floor only allows for the battery and not a plastic battery box...I guess the next best thing to do if I do not re-route the battery to the front is to just use the lid for the battery box and make sure it covers the terminals well enough...
That's not uncommon. I think my father in law's 205, which has a battery cutout, still uses the cover over the battery. The previous owner of my nautique did the same thing to save money on the taller battery. I sprung for the group 34 battery so I could get everything under the floor and cut a hole in the battery cover to route wires to my amp, battery cutoff switch.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.