Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Extended storage? X2

Well, may be heading to Alaska for the next 2 years. Not taking the boat for obvious reasons. I can layup the boat in my shop where it sits in the winter for about 8 months anyway, so it dry and protected, but a couple years is a different story.
Couple things I'm planning in addition to everything required to winterize normally (already done) are as follows:
Block up trailer on frame to keep the weight off the axles and tires (never done this before, but usually end up moving the boat once or twice in the offseason for some reason).
Fog the cylinders. (Again, never done in the past for a winter layup, but probably will do for 2 year layup.)
Pull the batteries. (And put them in my truck. OE batteries are 7yrs old in the truck anyway and hate to trash a couple high dollar Odyssey batteries and dont want them sitting that long unattended on the maintainer.)
Fuel? This is the big question. Typically I just run it low, Seafoam it and call it good for the winter, never had any trouble with that. But 2 years, closer to 3 yrs maybe adding in this current off season, is different. I'm sure the fuel pump "should" stay wet, but what ever, that's an easy cheap replacement if when it craps out. Drain the tank? How to get all the fuel out?
What about the engine/fuel rail? Run it out of gas? What's best with regards to this?
If I was close to someone I trusted I'd rather it get run a few times each summer, but not possible here.

Any other suggestions?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
It sounds like you have a handle on the situation. It's a shame you're not taking the boat, I heard crab fishing up there off an X2 is the norm
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
If you put blocks under the trailer to get the weight off the tires, won't that cause the axles to bend over time?

That's what my uncle told me...he used to have a number of classic cars and never put them up on blocks for this reason. He just made sure he rolled them back and forth every so often.

Our BF200 has been stored up north for 2+ years now with a bad motor and we have not moved it since we put it in the garage...everything seems fine...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Maybe you can Lumbergh or someone run it a few hours a year to keep all the seals and other important internals lubricated correctly....I know I could count on someone near me to take good care of my PS205 a few times a season if I was in your situation...
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
I will take good care of it
Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
If he blocks the frame like he says, nothing to worry about-have to get the tires up.

Too bad you dont have someone you trust to run it, that would be best but a pain to put back to bed again after an hour or 2. I used a simple hand transfer pump with an extended hose to drain my tank, kind of rolled one side of the trailer up on a block to get it all to one end.

Have you considered putting it up for sale, 2-3 years is a long time, big chunk of the depreciation is gone already I guess but you may get into something newer for the same money in a few years. It never ceases to amaze me the low hour, quality boats that come up for sale.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
I will take good care of it
Too bad I bought a Blazer last summer-now I don't have room in the garage at my lake place. It could've stayed in my garage at Priest next to it's paternal twin and Sands could use it when he makes it up during the summer.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Maybe you can Lumbergh or someone run it a few hours a year to keep all the seals and other important internals lubricated correctly....I know I could count on someone near me to take good care of my PS205 a few times a season if I was in your situation...
If I lived back in IL again where you are I'd have no problem getting the boat "excercised" by good friends who are also MC/boat owners, with confidence. Got one in Naperville and 1 in Fox Lake that would keep 'er up.
Only 1 friend out here I'd trust to do that and he's getting sent to Victoria BC for a project for the next 2 years and doesn't plan on coming back here at all.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Last edited by Thrall; 02-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjen View Post
If he blocks the frame like he says, nothing to worry about-have to get the tires up.

Too bad you dont have someone you trust to run it, that would be best but a pain to put back to bed again after an hour or 2. I used a simple hand transfer pump with an extended hose to drain my tank, kind of rolled one side of the trailer up on a block to get it all to one end.

Have you considered putting it up for sale, 2-3 years is a long time, big chunk of the depreciation is gone already I guess but you may get into something newer for the same money in a few years. It never ceases to amaze me the low hour, quality boats that come up for sale.
Yeah I figured block the frame like you said. Then again I have yet to ever block anything up for storage with no ill effects.
Have thought about selling it. With only 150hrs and in cherry shape (orig owner never used it and I only seem to get 30-40hrs/yr) I could still sell it for more than I paid for it, but that's a tough one. Not in a position that I need to sell it and I put a fair amount of work into it already. Plus I searched a while for pretty much this exact boat, with some of the big things being no exhaust cats, no digital guages, 06 tower, black.
Don't figure I'll "lose" much by letting it sit either. Wakeboats aren't getting any cheaper!

Not sure what I was thinking on the fuel. If I pop the filler hose off the tank, should be able to suck out 95% from there without much trouble. Thanks for the suggestion there.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
Too bad I bought a Blazer last summer-now I don't have room in the garage at my lake place. It could've stayed in my garage at Priest next to it's paternal twin and Sands could use it when he makes it up during the summer.
Put your Blazer in my shop (better yet I'll keep 'er lubed up in AK for you!) and I'll leave the boat over there!
That might not be a bad idea. Then if we make it back down here during the summer it'll be ready to go.
He!! I still owe you for a cushion anyways.
I'm sure you guys would take care of it.

Eh I dunno, isnt it a little incestuous to let 2 MC's share the same room?