Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
You are going to fall in love with Ambergris... I also had a 10 day trip there, but since I scuba dive, I had something to do each morning from 08:30 till about 12:00... After that, it was lunch time, pool time, Palapa Bar and Grill time... I never looked into ruins trips simply because after seeing Tulum ~1989, I find ruins about as exciting as watching the grass grow - I don’t think theres anything I could be less interested in to be honest.

To answer your questions:

1. I 2nd what Brian says - I wish we could get Belikin in the US. Even if you don’t like it, you're gonna need to learn to like it... The cartel is really a monopoly run by the Bowen family... So, you can drink Belikin, Lighthouse, or Guinness. What Brian said about the bigger bars carrying carrying imported beers, I can't say I agree with because not a single restaurant on the island that I ate at had anything other than Belikin or Guinness.

Wikipedia states this, which I unsuccessfully tried to validate:

"Belikin currently exports its Beer and Premium to a distributor in
Los Angeles, California. The distributor ships to select high end
alcohol stores across the United States."

I highly recommend that you go to the duty free liquor at the BZE International Airport and buy the max you can buy because on the Caye, it literally doubles. The only cheap liquor on the island is One Barrel Rum (and yes its very good). Drinks at the restaurants are weak - take waterbottles with cointreau and one barrel in them to spike your margaritas and daquiris.

2. Bugs... What are the trip dates? I think the bugs depend on the time of day you're outside. Dawn and dusk you'll definitely feel the mosquitos... We took 2 bottles of "Off" and I packed my thermacell with 4 butane bottles and plenty of inserts... The way we did it to get the butane into Belize (and Cozumel) was to pack 2 butane bottles in my check in bag and 2 in my GFs bag... That way we'd at least maybe get 2 in in the event they were confiscated. One thing that drives me insane are mosquitos... And I can't stress it enough to protect yourself from them as the chances of contracting Dengue and Malaria are there. In fact, blood centers will not allow you to donate blood when you return if they discover you've traveled to Belize (Brother in law tried to donate last month). The closer we were to the beach, the less the mosquito problem was...

Other than "Pineapples" the restaurant at Ramones Village, every restaurant we ate at was open air. I recall eating at "El Patio" and the no-see-ums and mosquitos were eating us alive under the table... I carried Off with me everywhere I went.

3. I don’t know if you read my TripAdvisor review, but I'll cut and paste in my restaurant list anyways:

We ate at Elvi’s Kitchen, Blue Water Grill, Pineapples (@ Ramones), Wild Mangos, Blue Water Grill, El Patio (take bug spray), Wet Willys (very fun karaoke and great cheap food), Fido’s (horrible live music) and Red Ginger. We did go to the Wahoo Bar once, but that was on Thursday night for the ceremonial “Chicken Drop...”

The best three meals were surprisingly not at any of the ‘fancy’ restaurants. Try a croissant egg n bacon sandwich and a hot coffee for breakfast at Geo’s Hideaway Café – next door the Tradewinds – cheap and delicious.

The food n drink and fun at The Palapa Bar on North Ambergris was awesome. Three Hints: One, we took some Cointreau and One Barrel to spike the weak drinks (mainly daiquiris and margaritas). Two, it is too far to walk to Palapa from Tradewinds – u need a cart. Three, have Lelo the cab driver or Glenn get you a golf cart rental. We ended up paying $50 for ours and they got another guest a rental for $30. BTW, it is worth it to go all the way north on the island to Portofino

OK, so so the BEST meal we had all week? Seriously, it came from a street vendor that set up shop just outside the Caye Mart. For $5 US, you got a smoked chicken breast with wing, slaw, beans and 2 homemade tortillas. It was so good that we bought 4 meals and put two in the fridge back in the condo.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip...

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
TXS, Did read your review and you have been very helpful. Trip is mid July. I feel like we will be better off know what I know from this thread. The Phoenix e maild a link to the view from our specific room, looks great.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
BCs Beach Bar is another great little bar. They used to do Friday beach BBQ that was amazing but I think they have stopped doing it now and last I heard may be closing and or moving soon. Shame since they were a San Pedro icon. As I said before go to George's Kitchen. And I agree with the others Tx said.

Like Tx I went to dive. We spent all morning diving then ate and sat by the pool or bar, took a nap went to dinner had a few beers or a rum punch and turned in early to do it all again. Didn't do really any nightlife.

Island time. We always take that seriously and slow WAY down.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Didn't do really any nightlife.
I'll just say that I had no desire to hang out at many of the night life areas... Just looked like trouble... Some places were good though like FIDO's, Wet Willies, and Wahoo Bar.

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Sweet!!

http://ambergrisdaily.com/ambergris-...-in-san-pedro/

Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 PM
MC Maniac

I know I'm not sitting in Ambergris Caye tonight, but I did play on the beaches of Grand Cayman's 7 Mile Beach today...

Can't wait to get the scuba tank on in the morning

Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
I went to placencia which is in the south end,the diving was great,2.5 hrs boat ride out to the barrier reef,avadon divers was the dive outfit.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
MC Maniac

H2OSkiFreak:

What did you decide on for Ambergris?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Txs River Rat and others who commented and suggested. Belize was great. The resort Phoenix could not have been better. Arrival to a cold towel and rum punch and it just got better from there. After seeing where others were staying, I think the hotels on the island are mostly sub-par. We booked a 1 br./1bath and received a 2/2 with 3 flat screens and a 700 square foot veranda. I bet our unit was 1500 square feet. Service was equally as fine with top notch linens and turn down service. We ate at Elvi's Kitchen, Blue Water Grill (several times) Red Ginger (at the Phoenix) Wild Mango's (not the best, but o.k.) Waraguma (not mentioned by anybody and it is a whole in the wall but wow. Lobster burrito with two tails one inside and one on top for $9US ate that 2x for lunch), also went to Palapa (worst meal of the week). Palapa looks fun when rockin, but we were in off season so it was just an empty party spot. Mostly very happy with the restaurants food quality and $. Oh, forgot we went to Victoria House for my wife's B.D. dinner and it was very nice as well.
Excursions-Snorkel Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray x2. Mexican Rocks snorkel. Skiped Shark Ray the second time as we were private tour and dove a ship wreck instead. Hol Chan was like being in an aquarium and worth the trip. Went fishing one morning by myself (thank god I left the wife at the resort). Had fun and caught a big Barracuda, Jacks, Snapper and 6-7 smaller Cuda's but was out in the boat in the rainstorm of a lifetime. Never saw rain like this it was filling the boat. I took turns w/ guide bailing and we gave up at one point and pulled the plug for equalization. You could not see 5 feet as it was so heavy. My wife would have thought she was going to die. I wondered myself and I am not easily scared. Great trip, not like anything we have ever done before. Won't go back anytime soon as there are to many other places to see in this world. Don't go for the beaches, as there are none. We knew that so we were not disappointed with the lack if beach.
Going to Playa in Jan. and will dive the other end of the reef. I am excited to see how it compares.
In Central America, Costa Rica is hard to beat. I will go there again, and hopefully in 2014.
Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me with expectations and recommendations, especially you Rat. BTW, Belikin is good, drank my body weight in the stuff. Also, good recommendation on the Duty Free booze we saved $ for sure. Drank a bunch of Rum too, have to in the Caribbean.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Glad you had a great time.

Can't wait to go back.

To me those "sub par" hotels are the charm of San Pedro. I don't like big resorts and all of the 10-20 room hotels on San Pedro are just my speed.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy