Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
CEL Light

O.K. I have to ask now. With EFI just what does the "Check Engine Light" all cover?
To my knowledge there aren't any emission gadgets and such. Is it just for the overheating? Or am I overlooking something?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
O.K. I have to ask now. With EFI just what does the "Check Engine Light" all cover?
To my knowledge there aren't any emission gadgets and such. Is it just for the overheating? Or am I overlooking something?
What year? The original injected models had a MAP sensor, TPS, Knock sensor, temperature, IC module and the LT-1 & LTR have crank sensors. Except for the crank sensors, all of these could cause a code to be stored. In addition to these, the ECM could cause the MIL to illuminate if the voltage to it was low, if the EEPROM was bad and it could put the engine in RPM reduction mode, which far too many call 'Limp Mode'. The only reason these can run at all when they overheat is because disabling an engine is dangerous if the users need to get out of trouble. They should never be run if RPM reduction occurs because most of these don't have a closed cooling system.

Newer models DO have emission monitoring that include O2 sensor and catalytic converters. It's not as extensive as what's in cars and trucks, but the EPA and CARB have mandated this for the same reasons.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Mine is a 1998 Prostar 190. 350cid EFI Vortec.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Mine is a 1998 Prostar 190. 350cid EFI Vortec.
You don't have the crank sensors but the rest applies. If you know car engines, these are the same, without emissions devices after the exhaust and the cooling system is different.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM
MC Fanatic

How about the scanners; must we use a Marine specific?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
How about the scanners; must we use a Marine specific?
The official one for these was the Tech I with the marine card, but Rinda and a few other companies have a cable/software that allows using a PC to diagnose. If you just want to see if it has any stored codes, you can use a simple code scanner or a paper clip, if you know how to read the light flashes. You need to use terminals A and B in the ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link).
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM
MC Fanatic

I appreciate your help, but it looks like I will have to depend on a mechanic as I am NOT one. Maybe once I got into some of this, it may be a little clearer, but as for now......fog.
Thanks again though. I had (still do until it gets sold) a Ski Nautique with a 351 ford Windsor, carburated. I could help myself there, I just don't get all this electronic stuff.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I appreciate your help, but it looks like I will have to depend on a mechanic as I am NOT one. Maybe once I got into some of this, it may be a little clearer, but as for now......fog.
Thanks again though. I had (still do until it gets sold) a Ski Nautique with a 351 ford Windsor, carburated. I could help myself there, I just don't get all this electronic stuff.
It's not rocket surgery but it requires thinking a bit differently about what's happening.

If you have concerns about the engine's performance, you can find all the information you could want online, by searching here and using google. If it runs well, you don't need to do much more than change the oil/filter, impeller, cap/rotor/plugs/wires/thermostat and keep it from overheating. You need to clear out the oil cooler frequently, too. That one step can mean the difference between an engine that lasts for thousands of hours and one that only lasts 50 hours. If the oil cooler is clogged, the impeller dies. If the impeller dies, the engine is at risk.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Boat: 06 X30
As Jim has expressed it's not all that difficult to work on these engines. If you are not familiar or not comfortable reading codes with a paper clip you can get the code reader that rinda makes from here.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/codema...FQ6ynQodYEAAQw

It's nothing more then a shunt with an LED built into it.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
MC Fanatic

This is the first I heard about an "oil cooler", where is that thing?