Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
Post 2008 X Star ballast upgrade

Ok so I finally ordered all the components to upgrade the internal ballast of my 2008 X Star.

I would like to post some hints as well as pics as I go trough the process of installing the ballast upgrade. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank you to Spencer from WakeMakers.com who helped me with answering a lot of questions (I guess I sent him over at least 10 e-mails and all of them have been answered very fast and with helpfull information).

I started with having in mind that I'm going to add the Fly High Pro Ballast System which you can buy for example with wakemakers. During the process of nailing down what I really want and need as well as optimizing the components I would need (to get the weight down to reduce shipping costs, to enhance the flow of water in the system, and so on) I realized that the above mentioned system is not exactly what I wanted.

I wanted not to use the T hose barb fittings but the wye fittings to optimize the flow of the water. I also realized that buying the custom made rear bags instead of the standard Fly High rear bags I would spend more money and get less possible weight (720lbs versus 750lbs).

Another thing importent for me was to make sure that by filling only the bags and not the rear tanks water overflowing the bags (vent line) will not be allowed to go backwards to the (empty) tanks but is forced to go out of the boat. I therefore decided to not only use the T assembly stop valves but to go with two check valves on each side of the Y which is bringing together the vent lines of the bag/hard tank.

Beside that I mostly went with what you get also by buying the system. Well, one major issue for me was to reduce the weight of the package which has/had to be shipped as much as possible since it would have to be shipped to Europe. I therefore decided to go green and buy the hose with a local store. By doing this I am also able to get some more hose in case I'm running out of it during installation.

So to get started I placed my order with WakeMakers today. I ordered the following components:
- 2x Fly High Pro X Series Fat Sac
- 2x Fly High Pro X MC X-Star Bow Sac
- 6x Hose Barb Wye Fitting
- 6x Inline Check Valve Fitting
- 8x Flow Rite Elbow Quick Release Connector W746
- 8x Flow Rite Straight Quick Release Connector W741
- 6x Fly High Ballast Bag Plug W731
- 3x Fly High Distribution Flow Mainfold
- 8x Flow Rite Quick Release Connect W743
- 30x Hose Clamps (even if I could get them also from a local store but there was no difference in shipping costs)

To be prepared once the stuff arrives I already bought some 1'' hose, I started with 20 meters which is about 65ft. I also started to build a plattform to have the pumps mounted horizontally instead of vertically (inside the transom) as it is stock. The main goal here is to be able to change the impellers comfortabely. Pictures will follow by tomorrow and I will try to keep you updated regarding the upgrade process.