Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post

I didn't mean to disrespect anyone here��, Just that they have a continuous rotation of new people with stringer problems ( many in the 80's). In correct crafts defense they made a lot of boats too.
I wouldn't call it problems... boats are from the 80's - so it's a restoration opportunity... sounds cheesy but the 80's were 30 years ago - water-wood-time.... the problems will be in the electronic dashes - water-electronics-time...

My money is on wooden stringers outlasting electronics from a time perspective.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 stars&Stripes
I should Have pics up tomorow so yall can see what ya think.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
TT Newbie

what,s the best type of sander or grinder I should use for inside my hull, for replacing some stringers, what grit paper
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Right now I am using a 4.5 inch grinder with a 36 grit flap wheel. Will also need something a little smaller to get in the tight spaces. If you had a 7 inch that would work good for the larger sections. I probably will go back over this with a 100-150 grit paper on my palm sander to clean it up. The 36 grit will really take off the glass depending on the pressure you use. Here is how far I am along. You can see where I have gotten to in the last picture.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewilkins View Post
Thanks I hope to post some pics this weekend, When you say replace the hole thing do you mean that whole stringer or all the stringers, the rest of the stringers in the boat seam pretty solid? I guess i shouldnt be concernd about cosmetics right now but i cant help to worry about the seating, mainly the observation seat some one has took the origanal out and put just a bench seat, I would like to get a more orignal look out of it could I just buil one out of wood?,And back to the stringers is douglas fir the best type of wood to replace them or coul I use treated pine?
Don't use treated anything! Fiberglas will not adhere to treated wood.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
TT Newbie

I think iam gona go with the LVL material to replace stringers do yall see any problem with that,Do yall think they would be to heavy. Also ive been told not to use pt plywood for the floor, I have seen good results using it though, Why should I not use it?. And what do yall think is the best method for making a pattern for my stringers?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
If you use PT plywood you cannot put a coat of glass on it. It will not adhere correctly. LVL might casue the same thing. I would use fir for your stringers and bed then then wrap them. Seriously go check out the correct craft forum there are a lot of stringer replacement threads.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
TT Newbie

thanks SKIBUMM, Also I was thinking of my floor height i measured roughly 17 1/2 inches from the top of my hull to the stringers does this sound bout right and what is the best way to get a good level floor , I thought a bout pullind a string across the top of the hull "left to right" and then measuring down would this method be ok?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
Good question as I have never done it but there would be a couple of ways. first you need to make sure your boat is level to begin with I would suspect that is the critical part. Then measure down at diffent locations throughout and then transfer that measurements. Or you could mark one point and if the boat is perfectly level you might be able to use a laser transit to find the other locations too. If you are redoing the stringers they are the important part ot make sure they are put in level and true then the floor should be easy(so to speak) at that point.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewilkins View Post
thanks SKIBUMM, Also I was thinking of my floor height i measured roughly 17 1/2 inches from the top of my hull to the stringers does this sound bout right and what is the best way to get a good level floor , I thought a bout pullind a string across the top of the hull "left to right" and then measuring down would this method be ok?
That is one way, but there are some other things to consider....Have you cut the floor out yet? If not, leave a little nib that runs the outside of the hull. Use this as a starting point for measurements. Look at my pictures above and you will see the nib I left. You should be able to pull your string left to right, but you really need to check that the string is level. It may or may not be. If you measure off the string and it is not level you are only building the stringer to that height and your floor will not be level. Fiberglass thickness on the floor may also vary and throw off your measurements. You (I) would want to correct this when you go back. If you measure off the top of the deck--nib you left--minus fiberglass thickness, deck thickness etc. you should get a rough measurement of your old stringer height.

Here is what I am doing...I am planning on cutting my stringers full (1/2-1 higher than required) and then measuring off my nib (highest nib point, minus decking, glass) and then cutting the stringers level to this "correct" height. This way I can be assured that left to right is level. I am sure there are other ways to do this but this is the way I am going. My floor was not very level left to right and bow to stern. It was as much as a 1/2 inch off. I am planning on putting a little slope to the stern to aid in draining. My stringers were very rotten and are not the best for templates. I did not even have wooden secondaries only foam. I plan on getting some #2 pine to shape and test fit my stringers prior to cutting the expensive douglas fir. The pine is ALOT cheaper than the douglas fir (5.00 ft). After I get it close I will transfer my template to the fir boards.

I bought marine plywood for my transom (ex. $80.00 sheet), but I plan on going with "good" exterior plywood (A/B) for the deck. From what I read, the glue is the same only difference is the voids are filled with marine plywood. I plan on glassing the top and bottom of the deck for waterproofing. Keep a check on my thread. I am a little ahead of you on the resto and I will try to add more pictures when I start installing the stringers.

Check out this guy on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/FriscoJarretts
He is currently restoring a Glastron, but also has videos on a Sea Ray rebuild that he did a few years ago. I am sure the videos will give you some tip and ideas. The videos are addicting. He also has a FB page and a thread on iboats.com