Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
my CC information keeps getting stolen

Hey guys -
just as the title says, it keeps happening. Chase is super at fraud detection, so i normally get a call within an hour and nothing ever comes out of my pocket, but its SUPER annoying having to get all my autotransactions set up again.

this and other times its been a physical fraudulent swipe, so someone is physically duplicating my card, its got to be somewhere i frequent and have enough time to swipe it through a separate machine. Anyone heard of any prevention measures for this? i really just want to know when it happens so i can take a baseball bat to the f&^%#@'s knees.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
wow, I don't use credit cards anymore so I cannot relate to that part....

but, my bank doesn't like it when I make debit card transactions with people in Australia for some reason, they'll block the transaction and call me... I'll give them permission, and it still won't work.
They even block paypal transactions from doing business with someone in Australia.... I guess my bank just wants the all night chat girls DownUnder to get some rest

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
You avoid it by not letting the card out of your sight. If you are at a restaurant where they will take the card and your bill and be back in a minute, you go with them. I love in in Europe - most places just swipe your card at the table into a small hand-held machine and hand it right back to you, it prints the receipt and you're done.

2013 X-25
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Willy, Stop hanging out with girls that steal your wallet during 'busy' time!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Restaurants are the worse because they take your card to back and duplicate the magnetic tape then they have a card.

My card was apparently scanned and duped when I paid for lunch on a Thursday.....over the weekend they charged up $10k worth of "stuff". ALL in person charges.

Lucky the CC co. paid because they ID'd the fraud but could not do anything.....the weekend is often when this happens they told me.

keep the card in sight always.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Gas Money
There is nothing you can do about it. This is a huge problem world wide.

What usually happens is your card number is bought on the black market (many website forums on the web buy/sell/trade) with 1000's of other numbers. A very sophisticated group then produces physical copies of these cards. The beauty is they don't have to look like the real thing, just have a functional strip in them with the correct data because from there they take the cards to multiple gas station or other real places of business who they are in cohorts with and run them for various amounts under what might trigger a fraudulent charge. Once the CC company see multiple transaction from what is probably out of state, they shut down the card. For helping make these transactions the shady place of business then gets a cut of what is stolen and pays the rest to the mastermind of the scam.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
Hey guys -
just as the title says, it keeps happening. Chase is super at fraud detection, so i normally get a call within an hour and nothing ever comes out of my pocket, but its SUPER annoying having to get all my autotransactions set up again.
I'll second this about Chase - they are on top of my transactions and have halted many "suspicious" things that turned out to be bogus 98% of the time. I've only had a couple times I needed it and couldn't get something to go through - i.e. online ordering a software program while I was in Budapest - that just wouldn't work out, although that may have been contributed to by the software company and the IP address I was at.

2013 X-25