Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Direct Drive Sub placement

Just wondering where you guys with direct drive boats are installing your subs. I'd like to upgrade the system in my 205dd but i cant decide where the best place is to install the sub. At this point i'm thinking under the dash is the best option but i'm worried about losing leg room. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
I am installing mine starboard stern beside the gas tank. Ran all the wires last year and failed to measure correctly for the 10" bazooka tube. So this year I will be installing an 8" tube or a 10" JBL free air sub with internal amp.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I put mine under the pass seat. Just a 12" RF but better than stock. Depending on the boat should be able to cram it in the back so it doesn't effect space that much. I find that in the rear compartments is more likely to get wet etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
Just wondering where you guys with direct drive boats are installing your subs. I'd like to upgrade the system in my 205dd but i cant decide where the best place is to install the sub. At this point i'm thinking under the dash is the best option but i'm worried about losing leg room. Anyone got any ideas?
Acoustically, there will not be a better location than under the drivers dash.
So in order to maintain good leg room what are the largest enclosure dimensions that will fit in the above location?

David
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Acoustically, there will not be a better location than under the drivers dash.
So in order to maintain good leg room what are the largest enclosure dimensions that will fit in the above location?

David
Can't remember my measurements but i believe much more than 6" into the foot area and it would start to be in the way. Also not alot of height either. I figured a 10" would be as big as i would probably go.

Would it be possible to use a free air sub and put it in the walkway somewhere?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
Can't remember my measurements but i believe much more than 6" into the foot area and it would start to be in the way. Also not alot of height either. I figured a 10" would be as big as i would probably go.

Would it be possible to use a free air sub and put it in the walkway somewhere?
Tony,
Here are a few basic acoustic considerations.
An IB (free air) sub can do a good job, but it requires a rigid baffle, an infinite enclosure (2.25 cu.ft.+) for a 10", plus total front to rear isolation for a distance of at least a quarter wavelength of the lowest frequency you need to reproduce. You may be able to accomplish all that. When placing a sub in the cockpit, the surrounding boundaries (sole, coaming, etc.) provide reinforcing planes. Once out of the bathtub, so to speak, bass energy tends to flash evaporate, unlike an enclosed vehicle cabin. By placing a sub in the pass-through, it has been removed from the perimeter of the cockpit with its contrbution divided. Helpful to the bow occupants. A marked reduction in the cockpit.
Placing a sub in a locker or compartment can create a significant reduction in output. At minimum the woofer will have to move four times as far and the amplifier will have to produce four times the power to compete with a direct radiating woofer. Both (excursion & power) are very limited resources. The woofer that operates most conservatively always sounds the best. In any case, any degree of pitch accuracy, transients and attack, have been filtered out. You are left with a rumbling boat shaker but not much of a bass music maker. You can turn the boat into swiss cheese to vent the compartment for some improvement.
Direct-radiating from under the dash. A contemporary 10-inch 'air suspension' woofer needs one cubic feet of EXTERNAL enclosure to provide the required internal net displacement. Any simple enclosure shape that will satisfy that 1728 cu.in. volume is good. 7"X12"X21" with 0.75" construction for example. I would prefer a 10" direct radiating subwoofer over a choked 12" subwoofer in a compartment.
Ultimately we make compromises as we take the best that each individual boat offers. You want to take the leper with the most fingers.

David
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

So basically your telling me my best bet is a sub box under the drivers dash as long as i can make one that has the proper amount of volume?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Absolutely.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
can't you remove the kick panel in that boat, measure available/necessary space and then construct a false face frame to attach to the sub box?

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 05
Here's a custom Sub enclosure under the rear seat in my X9- holds 2 Kenwood Excelon 12" flat piston- No loss of space, leg room. i'll take an enclosure for a sub over IB sub, any day of the week.
Attached Images