Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
I installed the clear bra on the transom and around the outer edges of the swim platform. It has held up very well and it is only peeling up on the back edge where wakeboards slide across. Most of my buddies don't slide on the platform, only the new riders and why the clear bra is in place.

I recommend the clear bra if you want to protect against scratches.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Awesome! thanks for the feedback! did you put it on yourself?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
I didn't install it myself. I left it to the professionals so it would look good and be hardly noticable.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Fourfourty, thanks for the info! Going to try and knock it out this weekend! Incredibly jealous on your new boat, she's a beauty!!
Thanks! I am excited! Didn't get any more photos, but I am sure it is probably all done now. Maybe they will send something tomorrow....

And good luck!! As commented below, be careful. Luckily, gelcoat is much harder to mess up than something like a car finish..... You should be all set. I am assuming that you mostly just have scuff marks, and mild scratches from boards and stuff. It should be a cakewalk. Just take your time, dont remove more material than needed, feather the repair, and dont overheat the surface with the buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Post a couple of photos of the damage.

And remember, go with the least aggressive approach first. You can't magically un-sand the gel coat once it's gone.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 View Post
I didn't install it myself. I left it to the professionals so it would look good and be hardly noticable.
How much did it cost? if you dont mind?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Thanks! I am excited! Didn't get any more photos, but I am sure it is probably all done now. Maybe they will send something tomorrow....

And good luck!! As commented below, be careful. Luckily, gelcoat is much harder to mess up than something like a car finish..... You should be all set. I am assuming that you mostly just have scuff marks, and mild scratches from boards and stuff. It should be a cakewalk. Just take your time, dont remove more material than needed, feather the repair, and dont overheat the surface with the buffer.
To bad you dont live by me, id definitely bum some rides off you! haha. i went and got some wool buffer pads today. what is a good compound to hit it with?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Are you using an orbital buffer?? What RPM range can you work with on it? Keep your speed below 300 rpm with wool pads....if you can. I have not used a ton of different compounds on boats. This is what I use, and they work very well.

Once sanding is completed, start with-

And then-

And then-

OR

I am sure there is a debate about using automotive clearcoat products to restore gel, however, the automotive products seem to work better to me. The meguirs power cut marine compound is good stuff though. I Always use that for a mid stage. After the power cut, there is virtually no need for a swirl remover, but I do it anyhow.

On another note, if you do not have one of these- (or similar) I highly recommend it. An orbital, with great speed control, makes the job very easy, harder to screw up, and less messy when applying compound. Unfortunately, it costs a pretty penny.

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-pe14-2-polishing-kit.html
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
MC Maniac

I just picked up a variable speed orbital from Harbor freight. Thanks for the info! My boat will be scratch free in no time!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

where do you find someone to put the 3m stuff on? I'd like to put it on transom of new boat coming as our last boat has some board rash back there and would like to avoid it.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
where do you find someone to put the 3m stuff on? I'd like to put it on transom of new boat coming as our last boat has some board rash back there and would like to avoid it.
Hard to believe this stuff stays in place. It looks like to apply you just get it really wet and put it in place and squeegee out the air bubbles. Being a water activated glue of some sort seems it would peel in an marine environment. I do want to try this also as most people aren't as careful back there as I am! Also be nice to use on the edge of the platform!