Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Another tip.

After getting the tranny mounts unbolted from stringer, wiring harness removed, shaft coupler separated etc

Get a strap or rope. Put it under the tranny tail shaft and pick up. The tranny and engine will move or rotate toward the pylon of your boat. Meaning the angle if the engine will become level. Grab a kid or wife or neighbor and have them tie a rope from the pylon to the exhaust risers. It won't be too heavy. Secure the angle to where the tranny is like 1" away from the stringer.

Remove bell housing bolts and the ground. There are (2) 1/2" or 7/16" bolts under the bell housing near the starter that you will have to remove as well. Slide tranny straight back. She is now out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 AM
MC Maniac

This pic demonstrates the amount of pressure that's on the rafter and the exhaust riser to keep the engine somewhat more level and to where when you slide the tranny back the engine doesn't fall back further.

I would just loop the riser and have someone make a few turns around the pylon while you lift the tail shaft up. After finding desired height then tie it off.

Doing it this way will greatly assist you on reassembly. You can raise and lower the engine pitch to the transmission input shaft.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361262210.837595.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361262243.148152.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  87.0 KB

If you have questions please ask. Slot or non slot it won't matter. I've been in both. The only difference is one has a reduction gear and the other doesn't.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Boat: 06 X30
All the manuals are in this post.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=32581
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
MC Maniac

Here is my downloaded shop manual for

71C-72C Direct Drive and Reduction Ratios

1.5:1, 1.88:1, 1.91:1, 2.1:1, 2.57:1, 2.91:1

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM
MC Maniac

Ok file is too big for forum. I can email it to a MOD to get it put on here. I am a computer dummy and do not know how to compress a file.

SORRY

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Ok file is too big for forum. I can email it to a MOD to get it put on here. I am a computer dummy and do not know how to compress a file.

SORRY
No problem. Thanks Kyle. Got everything loosened and ready to pull when I get a hand. Kit is in the mail. Next I will order the pump. Replacing the cooler too just to be safe. Could have been leaking, not sure. I would guess that the main symptom would be loss of trans fluid? Assuming the pressure of the trans fluid pushes it into the water circulation? As long as the damper looks okay its staying.

Motor project will be for another year. Still running pretty strong and the season starts in a few weeks here in AZ.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 AM
MC Maniac

I completely understand. Good luck with your project. Try to take some pics so that the next guy can learn from you. Never hurts to pass on some knowledge.

The tranny should have had water in it if it was leaking through the cooler. When you dissemble it you will be able to tell for sure.

Where did you order your kit from? Just curious.

Hope everything goes smooth. If something crazy happens just ask.

Good luck on the project.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM

You may need a couple of special tools to do the rebuild. When I did mine I just made them.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...highlight=tool
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Got the kit from ebasicpower.com. Found a few others at the same price, but at least I have positive reviews of this one. I will order the pump from michiganmotorz.com because it is about 60 bucks cheaper.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Kyle, you didn't need to do anything to the gear reduction box when you did your rebuild, did you? It's just gears so maybe the output seal?