Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
If it runs good, buy it! Not too many old boats in that kind of condition.
Check for the obvious, water in oil, trans and other basic mechanical stuff, but if you're mechanically inclined, not much easier than this to work on.
If $7k is what your budget is, then this is about the best example of what to spend it on IMO.
Doesn't matter if it's a 5 year old or 25 year old MC really as far as parts and maint go as long as both are well maintained. I would not be concerned with the old engine as long as it was properly put up for the 7 years it sat. You may be on the hook for some little stuf like rebuilding the carb, fuel pump, etc. When I bought my 06 in favor of my 96 model, I put just as much work into it, probably more, but the new one has more bells and whistles.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Half a Can, here is that boat I was referring too. Hot off the presses!!

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/3624859591.html

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Thanks Double D. I actually ended up buying the boat and picking it up last Friday. Everything checked out good. I got a little more off the price, but ended up dumping the savings into new tires so I could make it home. After closer inspection, it appears like the boat sat in the water for a while. I noticed right behind the trailer wheel well, a nasty brown water line that had acid wash streaks in it. I guess that explains why the boat has no pinstriping and no transom sticker. I found this after I got the boat home and had to wash it due to my truck has an oil leak that ended up blowing oil all over the boat. The boat and trailer do need a few minor things like brakes, no running lights, pinstriping, carpet, and a stereo upgrade (it still has a *****in' casset deck with equalizer installed under the dash that even came with it's own Bon Jovi tape!). Oh well - I need something to do anyway since the snow kindof sucks right now.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice!