Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 mastercraft prostar 190
PSS shaft seal

What's up guys I am thinking of installing the pss shaft seal system on my ps190 but I have never used this system or any other dripless system on any of my boats. Have any of u ever done this? Is it worth the money and time spent and is it maintenance free as advertised?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by reftech View Post
What's up guys I am thinking of installing the pss shaft seal system on my ps190 but I have never used this system or any other dripless system on any of my boats. Have any of u ever done this? Is it worth the money and time spent and is it maintenance free as advertised?
I installed the OJ XPC dripless. Installation was easier than repacking the factory seal. I have been very happy.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

I looked at installing the oj as well. Mine is dripping steadily and it's time to repack that's why I was considering the dripless. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
Also have the Oj dripless---around 100 hrs on it and love it!! Nothing like having a dry bilge. The only time I get water in there is if the kids are in and out lots through out the day.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

I know right!? I had to turn the bilge pump on twice yesterday and we were only at the lake a few hours. Guess I'm just gonna have to stop contemplating and do it. From what I hear the two systems are equally as good. It will be a good time to replace the cutlass bearings to.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 Prostar 190, LT1
The drip less systems are nice, but another option is this:

http://www.gfopacking.com/

In my boat, it is effectively like a drip less system for much cheaper. I haven't touched it in three years since I installed it and I get zero water in the bilge.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I looked into this, but packing costs about $0.40 and repacking is a pretty rare event. I just check the drip once or twice per season and don't worry about it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
I put the PSS on mine the first full season I had it and love it. I've installed it on several other boats around the lake as well. Why mess with 100 year old shaft packing technology? Sure, you may not have to mess with the shaft packing that often, but I NEVER have to mess with mine.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
I put the PSS on mine the first full season I had it and love it. I've installed it on several other boats around the lake as well. Why mess with 100 year old shaft packing technology? Sure, you may not have to mess with the shaft packing that often, but I NEVER have to mess with mine.
Give it time. My local dealer has seen enough of them fail. They are wear items. 100 year old technology keeps working well for me. Glad the PSS is working well for you.

By the way, rudders are pretty ancient technology. Propellers, too. Internal combustion engine is over 100 years old.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1990, 351 Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
My experience with PSS is the same as gotta_ski. I installed mine on my ProStar over 10 years ago. No drips, no problems, clean bilge.