Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
Alright, just looked at your pictures closer and saw a few things that answered some questions. I was thinking you manifolds were exhausting the water but just internal circulation. Thats good but still think you going to run into heat problems with the up pipes unless you can find a cooling system for them as well. Then you have to have an intercooler setup. That will take up room and have zero air circulation unless you can find a heat exchanging coil setup. that will take more plumning etc.

I see the EGR is off and i'd leave that off and bypass... POS in my opinion. I'm very intrested in the project. Please keep us posted. I'm very familiar with the LMM and always looking at ways to improve performance.
I think the up pipes will be the biggest challange. The last thing you would want, is water jacketed up pipes. They would cool the exhaust, and drastically reduce turbo efficiency. A double wall pipe, and creative heat shielding, might do the trick...

The intercooler should be easy. There are tons of liquid/air heat exchangers that would work.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 190
you might be able to get away with a ceramic coated up pipe and a thermal wrap around the outside. if the pipe still gets too hot you could add a heat shield and water cool that or run a heat pipe to something metal that is exposed to the water.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
I found this in the Glen L forum and it also has the source below,

"I found the following information regarding cooling the exhaust manifolds.
Coast Guard requires: safety related
There is a distinction for high and low output engines.
In the written part as well exchange of information with reference to an turbo exhaust manifold and its cooling influence relative to engine efficiency.

A marine-specific exhaust manifold must be installed - something completely different from any other application. The
Coast Guard requires the manifold to be heat shielded so that if something flammable comes in contact with it, there's
no fire. This can be accomplished with very expensive insulation (space shuttle tile material) and heat shields. That
improves engine efficiency about 10%
compared to a water jacketed manifold because more heat is available to run the turbocharger. Turbochargers and
exhaust elbows must also be insulated or water jacketed. Again, water jacketing reduces efficiency but may present a
slightly cooler surface for decreased radiated heat to the engine room. Higher output engines absolutely REQUIRE
water jacketed exhaust system parts to absorb the thermal stresses - dry insulated manifolds crack under those
conditions. Needless to say, water jacketed parts in expensive diesels are cooled by the engine's antifreeze/coolant
mixture because sea water is too corrosive.

Source : seaskills / DieselMarinization "

Now, I recon you would be better off with wet exhaust as you already stated you are going stock standard on the motor builld as you will have more than enough power... If you don't want to burn down the house I think wet exhaust is the way to go but I ain't an expert. As for the risers, I recon they could be wrapped up.

I'm not an expert on this so my .02 would be to contact an expert and get their opinion and your options such as TayMC197 suggested http://www.banksmarine.com/ or that oufit I posted on page 1 I think it was.

I want to see it ROLL COAL!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star
PPE put a LBZ motor in a boat a couple of years ago the biggest deal was the inboard outbaord looked like something from offshore racing boat. i see you already bought there manifolds and up pipes they also make a water cooled turbo pedestal. i think a water to air intercooler would real work well. efi live tuned and some add on gauges like pyro and boost. weight wise whats the difference between the 8.1 and 6.6? vdrive wise i know ZF makes stuff rated up to 600-700lbs of torque that duramax has so much top torque and speed maybe a 2 speed so can good bottom end power and then still be able to cruise at 50-60 mph that be a direction to go also
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X80
The liquid cooled up pipes and manifolds we are using are completely new and 1 off. This will be there test motor. PPE has liquid cooled up pipes and turbo pedestal. They have done some marine conversions and we are a dealer for them. However most of this project will be all new and experimental..
How do I get in touch with ZF? My biggest concern right now is Vdrive strength and gear ratio. I would like to get more info on what they have to offer.
We are fabricating a custom billet aluminum flex plate to mate up with the bell housing.. Next test fitting the LMM for clearance. As of now it looks like we will need to modify the oil pan.

Again any V-drive help will be appreciated..
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Along with what I PMed you, you may want to call SKIDIM and talk to Richard about the ZF gears as they sell them and he's very knowledgable. Every time I've went to buy something from them, they have been honest with me and VERY helpful, even when it came to trouble shooting an issue. Very nice, stand up people there.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Call Chris Jones he is a V Drive Expert tel:954-812-5558 He will have all the info your in need of...Good luck
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X80
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
Along with what I PMed you, you may want to call SKIDIM and talk to Richard about the ZF gears as they sell them and he's very knowledgable. Every time I've went to buy something from them, they have been honest with me and VERY helpful, even when it came to trouble shooting an issue. Very nice, stand up people there.

10-4 I will give him a call.

Call Chris Jones he is a V Drive Expert tel:954-812-5558 He will have all the info your in need of...Good luck

Thank you
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star
how bought the cruise control whats your plan for the prefect pass system and the diagnostics sytem built into dash? you are adding billet fuel rails to the motor from the looks of that photo? is this going to be closed loop cooling sytem or run off raw water?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
There is a company in New Zealand that does conversions using a different diesel.
http://www.marinediesel.net.nz/home.htm
Here is a Nautique they did:
http://www.marinediesel.net.nz/rp-superair.htm
They had a U.S. affiliate in Stillwater, Oklahoma, but they might no longer be doing it.
http://www.perfprotech.com
http://www.h2osportsunlimited.com
Here is a diesel in a Tigé.

Hopefully someone will have some info that would help.

Last edited by Table Rocker; 02-15-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added pic