Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X80
Thanks for all the input. These are are liquid cooled manifolds and up pipes. The picture doesn't show the jackets. We still need to fabricate a custom water injected down pipe. We will need some help with the muffler set up though? Not sure if the gas muffler is to restrictive for our boosted diesel.
Anyone have some contact info for a good V drive shop?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
very interesting project - you noted that the diesel will be left stock without turbos, but in on road vehicle applications i thought the LMM had a single turbo.

The kodiak LMM looks to be rated at 620lbs of torque, which certainly isn't double what the big block put out, shoot my MCX is rated at 365 lbs.

The most important choice will be the prop and transmission gearing... since the LMM hits its max torque around 1,600 rpms i'd have to imagine a HUGE prop or a geared up transmission, with the red line at 3,250 rpms you'll need to have a plan for the top end too
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2, 1994 Prostar
subscribed as well... really looking forward to seeing this one
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxstore View Post
Thanks for all the input. These are are liquid cooled manifolds and up pipes. The picture doesn't show the jackets. We still need to fabricate a custom water injected down pipe. We will need some help with the muffler set up though? Not sure if the gas muffler is to restrictive for our boosted diesel.
Anyone have some contact info for a good V drive shop?
Are you planning on adding a water jacketed turbo as well? Depending on where you are located talking to Teauge Custom Marine in Cali would be a great place to start.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
very interesting project - you noted that the diesel will be left stock without turbos, but in on road vehicle applications i thought the LMM had a single turbo.

The kodiak LMM looks to be rated at 620lbs of torque, which certainly isn't double what the big block put out, shoot my MCX is rated at 365 lbs.

The most important choice will be the prop and transmission gearing... since the LMM hits its max torque around 1,600 rpms i'd have to imagine a HUGE prop or a geared up transmission, with the red line at 3,250 rpms you'll need to have a plan for the top end too

We will be running the LMM's factory single turbo with a possible twin turbo set up in the future. Our X80's V drive should be able to handle 450 ft lbs, however a different ratio will be needed to optimize the lower RPM. With a stock block and heads the Duramax motor is capable of producing around 650hp or 1200+ ftlbs with proper tunning and turbo's. This motor will not be tuned for max HP just max efficiency.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxstore View Post
We will be running the LMM's factory single turbo with a possible twin turbo set up in the future. Our X80's V drive should be able to handle 450 ft lbs, however a different ratio will be needed to optimize the lower RPM. With a stock block and heads the Duramax motor is capable of producing around 650hp or 1200+ ftlbs with proper tunning and turbo's. This motor will not be tuned for max HP just max efficiency.
I'd super charge it and ditch the turbo. You have no air circulation for the intercoolers, you can't have water going through the turbo, and you can't install the water inlets post turbo or your manifold temps will be hot enough to melt things. Super charging it will be the best option for you in this case and fairly easy to do. The heat will be to great with turbos. Now for the exhaust, just straight pipe it with standard water manifolds and zero filtration. If you leave the engine on a stock tune, the amount of black smoke and emissions is low already. Pushing a prop you won't have near the load on the motor that it would in a truck. Also the gas manifolds and exhaust won't hinder the restriction of the duramax (IMHO).
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
A fellow member installed a diesel into his 190 (smaller boat) but there may be some tips in this thread. Worth reading. I think he was in Turkey so that made it even more interesting.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ghlight=diesel

1994 205, LT1
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Alright, just looked at your pictures closer and saw a few things that answered some questions. I was thinking you manifolds were exhausting the water but just internal circulation. Thats good but still think you going to run into heat problems with the up pipes unless you can find a cooling system for them as well. Then you have to have an intercooler setup. That will take up room and have zero air circulation unless you can find a heat exchanging coil setup. that will take more plumning etc.

I see the EGR is off and i'd leave that off and bypass... POS in my opinion. I'm very intrested in the project. Please keep us posted. I'm very familiar with the LMM and always looking at ways to improve performance.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
I'd super charge it and ditch the turbo. You have no air circulation for the intercoolers, you can't have water going through the turbo, and you can't install the water inlets post turbo or your manifold temps will be hot enough to melt things. Super charging it will be the best option for you in this case and fairly easy to do. The heat will be to great with turbos. Now for the exhaust, just straight pipe it with standard water manifolds and zero filtration. If you leave the engine on a stock tune, the amount of black smoke and emissions is low already. Pushing a prop you won't have near the load on the motor that it would in a truck. Also the gas manifolds and exhaust won't hinder the restriction of the duramax (IMHO).
Water to air inter cooler will be used. They are very efficient in restricted air flow applications. We want to use a stock motor and turbo for cost effectiveness.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
MC Devotee

http://www.banksmarine.com/

Check this out, I might just buy this and retro fit my 197