Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X80
Duramax diesel X-80 Re Power has begun. Forum help needed.

This project has been in the works for about a year now. The platform is a 2003 single prop X80 originally powered by an 8.1 big block. Custom stainless manifolds and up pipes have been fabricated. We have pulled the 8.1 and kicked this project into high gear. Help from this forum will be greatly appreciated to get this project completed. We specialize in Duramax diesel trucks but are new to the water. Input on V drive and prop selection as well as other areas will be needed. Please feel free to kick in some advice.
The new power will be provided by 2009 LMM Duramax removed from a Kodiak. The Kodiak comes equipt with a stronger block so it is a better place to start. Power from the 6.6 Duramax will be left stock for now with twin turbos in mind for the future.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Wow, this'll be an interesting project to follow.

Prop selection - Eric Johnson from OJ Props would be a good guy to talk to. Click the link and send him a PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft,Prostar197,MCX,SD
Frikking Sweet!!!!
I hope this project flys like a bird!
I want to see more D power in Marine.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 190
owning a duramax truck myself, I have thought about this quite a few times. It certainly isnt without its drawbacks, but the allure of having that much power should be able to mitigate them. I wouldn't imagine that the stock v-drive would be a good choice, the LMM will probably have almost twice the torque of the 8.1 so im not even sure if it would survive it. Torque is a much smaller factor in the acceleration of boats than in cars so you will probably want to have it geared up to convert the motor torque to prop hp, but this can also be done by changing the prop parameters - so you arent completely locked in once you chose your v-drive.

does the Kodiak LMM come with a DPF? it would be a nice to have on a lake boat to reduce the particulate matter added to the water, but it will also increase operating temperature, add some lag, and limit the maximum idling time.

typical lake boats are turned off when they are stationary whereas a diesel would be better off idling for a few min rather than being shut off and restarted, so a more robust starter would be a good idea (seeing as you should change it out for a marine one anyway) along with larger starting batteries and an upgraded alternator (marine) to charge the starting and auxiliary battery banks.

you also might want to consider a different type of fuel tank and water separator to reduce the amount of water in the fuel, this might also help reduce the amount that the fuel foams when it sloshes around if it becomes problematic.

Im sure I'll think of some more things later - but im excited to see how this progresses.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
No dpf! Blow some coal! Haha just kidding. Such an awesome project!

Last edited by Aric'sX15; 02-14-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
You may want to look at what your largest wheel diameter is allowed with the shaft angle. You will probably be turning a 16" or 17" wheel with all the torque that big nasty will produce. Talk about pulling several people!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Your new stainless manifolds don't appear to have any place for the cooling water to enter, nor any place for the exhaust/water to mix before it is exhausted out the back. What is your plan here? I know nothing about marine diesels and very little about diesel in general other than the basic operating concept, but is this safe? It seems to me that without the exhaust being water-cooled they will get extremely hot. How do you plan to exhaust this very hot air?

This is a fascinating project though. I hope you get it all figured out. I've often wondered why the big v-drive's don't come with a diesel option.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Barefoot 190, 89, Indmar 454
I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_ski View Post
Your new stainless manifolds don't appear to have any place for the cooling water to enter, nor any place for the exhaust/water to mix before it is exhausted out the back. What is your plan here? I know nothing about marine diesels and very little about diesel in general other than the basic operating concept, but is this safe? It seems to me that without the exhaust being water-cooled they will get extremely hot. How do you plan to exhaust this very hot air?

This is a fascinating project though. I hope you get it all figured out. I've often wondered why the big v-drive's don't come with a diesel option.
You're correct there GS... They don't look like wet exhaust manifolds..

dmaxstore, you may want to check with these guys and see what they have or what dirrection to point you...

http://www.mesamarine.com/#Marinization%20Kits

http://www.mesamarine.com/Bowman%20M...an%20Manifolds

Hope this helps...

You may want to contact this motorhead buddy of mine.

http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Hope this helps. That boat has some SICK grafix!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Awesome project!

Subscribed

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S