Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
making good progress! Looking good!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
2/12/13 Update: Concrete now in basement.

We now have a concrete floor in the basement......... but as with most things it did not come without it's challenges. The guys put down 20 yards of concrete by grading a ramp to the driveway, lining it with plywood and then they buggy'd it right in the temp door we had on the walkout. They did a fantastic job as I would have thought for sure that we would have been calling in the pumper to get the material in there. The only problem we encountered was that water was seeping in thru the block on the backside of the house as there was a lot of water sitting against the foundation due to the grade not yet being established. The footer drains were flowing just fine but we think that water just filled the voids in the block and in 2 spots starting with the garage wall, which is not waterproofed, and then it crept it's way over and in. The guys did a great job of battling it to give me a nice finish on the floor so now we just need some dry weather to be able to grade the area away from the house and create a swayle which will keep this from happening down the road.
I will get some pics later today and post them up.

Next up the framers come back on Friday to button-up a few things and put the walkout sliders in, the HVAC guys come back tomorrow to hook-up the duct work and then the drywallers come in on Tuesday of next week. As for me, I will be getting the OSB for the attic area floor and putting it up there while the ceiling is still open and accessible.....using my noggin' for something good for a change!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
We now have a concrete floor in the basement......... but as with most things it did not come without it's challenges. The guys put down 20 yards of concrete by grading a ramp to the driveway, lining it with plywood and then they buggy'd it right in the temp door we had on the walkout. They did a fantastic job as I would have thought for sure that we would have been calling in the pumper to get the material in there. The only problem we encountered was that water was seeping in thru the block on the backside of the house as there was a lot of water sitting against the foundation due to the grade not yet being established. The footer drains were flowing just fine but we think that water just filled the voids in the block and in 2 spots starting with the garage wall, which is not waterproofed, and then it crept it's way over and in. The guys did a great job of battling it to give me a nice finish on the floor so now we just need some dry weather to be able to grade the area away from the house and create a swayle which will keep this from happening down the road.
I will get some pics later today and post them up.

Next up the framers come back on Friday to button-up a few things and put the walkout sliders in, the HVAC guys come back tomorrow to hook-up the duct work and then the drywallers come in on Tuesday of next week. As for me, I will be getting the OSB for the attic area floor and putting it up there while the ceiling is still open and accessible.....using my noggin' for something good for a change!
Should've had the lumber guys put a stack of OSB up there before they sheeted it.....would've had to move it for the insulators but beats pushing it all up there by hand.

More pics

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Tell me about the siding that you are using. Looks great!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 AM
MC Devotee

2/13/2013 Update: Concrete in basement is cured and back of house is sided.

The siders got the back of the house completed yesterday and it looks awesome, they have now moved on to the side facing the pond/master bedroom side and I would imagine it will be completed today. The concrete in the basement looks great as the saw cuts are now in.

So, today the HVAC guys are back to set the furnace and hook-up the duct work adn the framers will be back on Friday to put in the two 9' sliders which will make-up the walkout area as well as the door leading in from the garage to the basement and garage to the first floor. After that we will comfortably have heat throughout the house for the drywall guys.

Regarding the decking for the attic space, I thought about it a little late but it is only about 16 sheets and I tossed it up there last night instead of waiting.....a good workout!!!

Regarding the siding it is a product called Timbermill Siding and is made by Stylecrest. The specific siding name is Timbermill American Cedar and is shaped lke a quarter log showing the grain and knots throughout and the backside of the siding has a foam insulation which adds an R-value while giving the siding shape some structure. You can go to this website and check it out and I will also take a close-up pic of a piece so that you can better see the detail and profile.
http://www.timbermillsiding.com/
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
MC Devotee

More paint questions: I need some opinions on whether to prime the walls with traditional primer or if the paint and primer in one is really all that? From the research I have done and some of the people I have spoken with the paint and primer is great for a wall that was previously painted but not for new construction but I am open to other thoughts. Also, ceiling paint.....the various contractors I had bid the house originally said that they do not paint the ceilings in the new homes they build where a texturing is being used, so what are your opinions, do I need to paint the ceilings?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
More paint questions: I need some opinions on whether to prime the walls with traditional primer or if the paint and primer in one is really all that? From the research I have done and some of the people I have spoken with the paint and primer is great for a wall that was previously painted but not for new construction but I am open to other thoughts. Also, ceiling paint.....the various contractors I had bid the house originally said that they do not paint the ceilings in the new homes they build where a texturing is being used, so what are your opinions, do I need to paint the ceilings?
PAINT the ceilings! If you texture them, and have a leak, or some other type of repair, You'll NEVER match the texture!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have done it all as far as ceilings are concerned, and now, I'm all for ceiling paint. I can't answer the question concerning primer, but I would ask the guys behind the counter at the paint store. they should know. You should be able to get that house painted for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.50 per sq. ft. Labor & materials. Maybe $3. But not any higher. Also, tint your primer to the finish color. It won't be exact but you'll get three coats of color instead of two.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the advice. IF you were texturing the ceiling with a simple knock-down texture would you paint it?
Great advice on the primer, never thought of that. We are actually doing the painting ourselves but I may need to re-think this after I see what my material costs will be as it may not be worth my time to paint it if someone could do it for $2.50-$3/SF with materials.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. IF you were texturing the ceiling with a simple knock-down texture would you paint it?
Great advice on the primer, never thought of that. We are actually doing the painting ourselves but I may need to re-think this after I see what my material costs will be as it may not be worth my time to paint it if someone could do it for $2.50-$3/SF with materials.
I have painted knockdown ceilings (and walls) before, and it looks good too. A repair on painted knockdown will not be as noticable, depending on what colors are used. HOWVER, If you paint it, remember that in the event you no longer want the textured ceiling, if its painted, you'll have a hellova time trying to scrape it off! With a non painted knockdown, a little water sprayed on it, and it can be scraped off pretty easily after it has soaked for a few minutes.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
My brother-in-law is a great painter and lives down by me so let me know if you go that direction and want to talk to him. He does all my painting.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams