Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercract, 205, 1993, 351PCM
1993 Tandem Trailer- Drum brake size?

1993 Tandem Trailer (PS205 if it matters)

I had a brake dragging last season before I put the boat away for the winter.

I was looking here

The brakes haven't been touched since new (boat was stored 2 miles from the lake) before I bought it. I am leaning towards all new backing plates but was looking at the price prior to tearing it apart.

Are they 10" or 12"?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
I assume they are 10". That is what my single axle 94 trailer has.

I'm not sure how closely you inspected things, but you may be able to save money by replacing just the parts that aren't functioning instead of the full backing plate. To get my brakes working I replaced the master cylinder (in the actuator), the brake lines, and the wheel cylinders (a part on the backing plate). That took care of everything that comes in contact with brake fluid. If your shoes are worn (the brake that was dragging for example), you should be able to get those from Napa or another autoparts store.

Here is where I got my wheel cylinder: http://www.pacifictrailers.com/boat-...acking-plates/
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
On mine, the shoes were grease fouled, and I found that replacing the whole backing plate was almost the same price as cylinders/shoes. And I got free-backing ones in the process. YMMV.

/frank
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercract, 205, 1993, 351PCM
I haven't torn into it yet..

That was the site I was looking at. The wheel cylinders are ~20.00 the backing plates are ~60.00. Knowing nothing was replaced prior I am leaning towards loaded backing plates and get the drums turned. Am I looking at the wrong backing plates? 10" marine?

I have the bearing buddy axle service manual/owners manual. Does anyone know which seal I need? There are four listed in the service manual I assume there is an inner and an outer?

I tow with a Tundra so I can't justify the upgrade to discs. Most likely upgrade boats/trailer in a few years.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

I beleive these are the shoes you would need: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...154_0319322455

They have some that are more expensive so I'm not sure what would be sufficient. Since you have four tires instead of two I would guess there is less stress put on each shoe.

You also may be able to get your bearing parts at an auto store: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...+2026026+25003

Not sure if the boat trailer versions are different/more durable?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

I realize I didn't answer your question about whether they are the correct backing plates. 10" marine are the correct ones as long as the tandem trailers don't use different ones. In researching for my project, it appeared most boat trailers use the same size backing plate. Mastercraft trailers come with UFP brake parts but I beleive all the 10" backing plates on that site will work.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
10". You can by all new plates, hubs, pads, and wheel cylinders in a kit from Champion Trailer supply. Super easy job. 4 bolts hold the plate on, and one connection for the brake line. Just replace it all. Something like $110 for the pair.

New kit comes galvanized too. Don't forget to check your master cylinder fluid. If its rusted, just replace the master cylinder too. Otherwise, you'll corrode the new wheel cylinders.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Much like kyfooter said, check your master cylinder and bleed lines first. Check brake action.
There is a very good chance the mc, lines, and brake cylinder are all rusted. Brake fluid is very hydroscopic, thus full of water = rust.
If that is the case, replacing brake parts is a waste, you are looking at a new system.