Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Hey guys,

Yes, Ramones is still there. Yes, it is overpriced – the food there is ridiculously expensive. No offense to those that like AI resorts, but the food just sucks at them (compared to eating outside the resorts)… Yes, I will admit it is convenient.

The Phoenix is right next door to where I stayed, so you’ll have access to all the same things I did – Ritchies Supermarket, cayemart, the smoked chicken guy (sat/sun at the cayemart), Wet Willies, and the piers. And yes, we walked by it daily noting how amazingly nice it was.

I will say that I heard the other coast of the island was a bit seedy, and we avoided it.

As far as restaurants, go eat at the places I listed in my TA review. For breakfast, make sure you hit Geo’s Hideaway café – the breakfast croissant sandwiches were $5 and you can’t eat 2. The coffee there is HUGE and affordable too…

Trying to remember what you asked me in your last PM…. Blue Hole for snorkelers? There were some on board of the boat we were on (Amigos Del Mar)…. Is it worth it? I think it would be fun, but to miss going 140 ft down to see the 10 foot reef sharks, the drum fish and the MONSTEROUS stalactites, you’re doing yourself an injustice. We did see dolphins on the way there, sharks 140 feet down and 2 sperm whales on the way back… Plus we saw ˝ Moon Caye on the way back – and the colony of the Red Footed Booby birds. I’m not sure I would have wanted to spend THAT much money without seeing the great blue hole as seen by the eyes of one of my all time childhood heros – Jacques Cousteau… It was amazing

As far as staying on the mainland? No thank you – driving through BZE City to go to the zipline/cavetubing combo trip was enough for me. We took the 90 minute ferry ride to/from Ambergris…

Oh and you asked about clothing - I took 2 nice collared shirts and wore those with sandals and khaki shorts – the rest was swim trunks and t-shirts. Ambergris is LAYED BACK… And you can walk everywhere – it’s TINY.

Hope this helps – more later – I’m late to my next meeting.

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Last edited by TxsRiverRat; 02-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
MC Maniac

OK, back from my meeting....

More on Blue Hole... I will say that if you are at sea level, you could drive by it and not know it... The only way you can really tell it’s there is from the sky. There is a sandy shelf at about 20 feet, that the divers meet at prior to the decent... The max depth allowed is 130, although I dipped to 136 to assist my GF, a beginner diver who accidentally dipped to 145. As a snorkeler, I do not think you’re going to see much. It’s DARK down there... I took a flash light... So, snorkeling, blue hole... From what I could tell, I think the darkness will severely limit what you see / how far you can see. Plus, there's going to be A LOT of scuba bubbles coming up to the top. I also heard some of those monster sharks came right up to the surface, but I did not witness that, I’m just relaying what was told to me.

Palapa Bar and Grill north of the toll bridge– again, do not miss it. It’s great to get on the inner tubes and have them lower buckets of beer to you...

To rent a golf cart, wander next door to the Phoenix to the Tradewinds Paradise Villas and see if you find Lelo the cabdriver or Glenn (kid that works @ Tradewinds)... Ask them for the cheapest cart prices – they got em for $30/day for one of the people on my diveboat... 50-60/day is typical. There are 2 gas stations on the Caye (both are south of $5 toll bridge)... And gas aint cheap – ~$6 US per gallon...

There is a combo zipline/cave tubing excursion – a lot offer it for 210 pp and come down to 180... We paid 130 pp... they provided drinks and lunch and at the end Belizean rum punch. From the phoenix, walk SOUTH on the beach till u see a pier with a tour operator... They are the ones that advertised the 199.00 blue hole trip.

If you drink, buy the maximum allowed duty free liquor @ the BZE airport and fly it to the caye... we spent $30 on a bottle of couintreau and $30 on reposado te-lill-ya... (it would have been double that on the caye) we should have bought double that. marg mix on the caye was cheap. the belizean run was cheap... hint – carry a water bottle with u full of the rum to spike your weak drink @ restaurants... carry a water bottle full of couintreau to spike the weak margs @ restaurants. Trust me on that one... having your own bar on the island saves u a lot of bar tab money.

Also, buy Belikin beer hats, t-shirts, bottle openers, coozies – you can not buy that beer in the US – my belikin beer ball cap is unique...

Also, try to figure out where anti-virus software developer John McAfee’s home is (north end)... Such an an incredible story...

My Belizean adventure was not something I will soon forget – I can’t wait to return

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Last edited by TxsRiverRat; 02-08-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Unless you are going to one of the resorts farther south on the mainland I probably wouldnt stay there. DO NOT stay in Belize City.

Just stay on the island and take a couple of day trips over to the things you want to do on the mainland.

Its been a few years since I was there last. Last time was when they first started cobblestoning the main roads of San Pedro. Its growing up fast now.

As said above. Just drink Belikin while you are there. You don't have to ask for it by name just say you want a beer at the bar and thats what you get. Go to the store and buy a case of it to drink by the pool. Much cheaper. And the One Barrel Rum is really good. Get get it here which is a shame. Marie Sharps hot sauce is killer too so get a big bottle of it and the One Barrel to bring home.

My wife talked one of the guys at the Belikin distributor into giving her a wall mounted bottle opener. They don't sell them just give them to hotels and bars as a promotional item. You are likely to have one in your room. It's my little bit of Belize I cherish at the house.
Attached Images

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 MasterCraft Jump Boat
I just took the family to Ambergris in December. My family had a great time. We rented a house on the beach just North of the Phoenix. The Phoenix looked great. You will enjoy the pool because the sea grass makes swimming in the ocean less fun unless you are in a few select areas.

If you are a diver there is a dive shop a short walk north of the Phoenix called Pajatos. We dove with them several days and took the kids snorkeling. I would recommend them highly. Both the diving and snorkeling was great. They saw a whale shark on Dec 4th.

I loved the food at the Wild Mango which is on the beach at the south end of town.

We bought beer from the Belikin distributor and if you bring the bottles back you are at less than $1/beer. If you get a golf cart ask a local how to get there.

Usually Caribbean food is not great. We did not have a bad meal the entire time in Belize.

Have Fun!

Last edited by andy@midwestmastercraft; 02-09-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy@midwestmastercraft View Post
We rented a house on the beach just North of the Phoenix.
Was the house rental north of the toll bridge?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Good tip on the beer. I am all about less than a dollar a beer. I will take several of the dining ideas as well. Thanks guys it really helps when people have been there before.

Quote:
I just took the family to Ambergris in December. My family had a great time. We rented a house on the beach just North of the Phoenix. The Phoenix looked great. You will enjoy the pool because the sea grass makes swimming in the ocean less fun unless you are in a few select areas.

If you are a diver there is a dive shop a short walk north of the Phoenix called Pajatos. We dove with them several days and took the kids snorkeling. I would recommend them highly. Both the diving and snorkeling was great. They saw a whale shark on Dec 4th.

I loved the food at the Wild Mango which is on the beach at the south end of town.

We bought beer from the Belikin distributor and if you bring the bottles back you are at less than $1/beer. If you get a golf cart ask a local how to get there.

Usually Caribbean food is not great. We did not have a bad meal the entire time in Belize.

Have Fun!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 MasterCraft Jump Boat
The place we rented was north of the Phoenix but south of the cut. It was a yellow house called Casa Caracol. We had a big crew so I rented both the upstairs and downstairs which can be rented separately.

There is a little fruit market across from the Belize Yacht Club. We picked up some fresh fruit and some really good homemade salsa there.

I am a big fan of having a golf cart. You can walk all over but it is fun to explore up to the Palapa Bar north of town and gives you a lot more dining options.

Have Fun!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
The place we rented was north of the Phoenix but south of the cut. It was a yellow house called Casa Caracol. We had a big crew so I rented both the upstairs and downstairs which can be rented separately.

There is a little fruit market across from the Belize Yacht Club. We picked up some fresh fruit and some really good homemade salsa there.

I am a big fan of having a golf cart. You can walk all over but it is fun to explore up to the Palapa Bar north of town and gives you a lot more dining options.

Have Fun!
You found fresh fruit??? Man, I couldn't find fresh bananas to save my life there... If you were lucky, toy find them right when they arrived, it was good otherwise way past their prime. (I love taking bananas on the dive boat to eat between dives)

yes, the carts were great, just expensive and apt to theft. Anything not locked down will be stolen there.

Another Palapa Bar fan! Nice! They do have a FB page...

Did you travel way south of Ramones? We did a bit, but it was mainly a few outlaying resorts and not much as far as restaurants.

MC

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Booked the 10 day trip at the Phoenix Resort. Thought if we need to break up the trip we will take a day trip to Guatamala and see ruins. A friend warned me about bugs. More specifically, sand mites or fleas. My girl is a "girlie girl" and that is not something we want is to get the heck bitten out of my baby on her 50th. Is that a real concern and what do you do repelant wise. BTW, How is the local beer, Belikin? Light/Amber and what is it comparable to?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Both times we went we had no bug problems. Most of the time there is a nice breeze which keeps everything away.

I love Belikin. Wish we could get it here. The original is similar to Red Stripe. Belikin also makes a Lighthouse which a lighter Pilsner and Premium which is more of an amber. I much prefer just to order the original 'beer'

Some of the bigger bars carry some import beers but they are really expensive. Belikin is kind of a Belizean beer cartel. So just order a 'beer' at the bar and drink Belikin original. When in Rome...

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy