Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I have rev10s with the stock bimini. Mine are mounted on the most forward tube on the tower, and they do get in the way when swinging the bimini up and down. Instead of just being able to open the bimini by pulling it forward, I have to unclip the middle windshield mounts on the bimini, then swing the bimini back and open it, then attach the middle and front clips to the windshield mounts. I also had to modifiy the bimini so it sits back a little more when in the folded up position.

I had pro80s on the rear most tower tube, and I was able to open and close the bimini without any trouble. I think if my rev10s were on the back tube, the bimini might clear them.
just curious, why not move the REV10s to the back bar?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
The rev10s with the swivel mount have a pretty unique connector. The speaker wire connects through the clamp. I already had wires run to the forward bar from my pro80s, and there really is no good way to get the wires in the back bar of the tower.

Now, they offer the old style retrofit kits where the connector for the speaker wire is in the back of the speaker on the top. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just go with the older style connectors, but that was not an option when I installed mine.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Yes, there is a procedure for routing the harness into the opposing bar on most tubular towers in a concealed manner. But it's no picnic for the uninitiated.

David
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
MC Fanatic

I went out this weekend and shot as many pics as I could to help with the measurements. My biggest problem with the OEM bimini is the point of contact between the bimini during its arc from stowed to deployed. As you can see it contacts my current cans. With just a little force I can get it past the front edge of the current cans. This distance appears to be 9-10". I appear to have 15" between the tower and the bimini when deployed.

These cans are mounted with the mount pushed toward the speaker grill which effectively pushed the leading edge of the can forward. The REVs are mounted more in the middle which should pull the leading edge aft.

David, as a dealer, you may have more insight than most and I certainly appreciate your input. Having seen these pics, do you think the REV10s will fit? If I go with the REV8s, can I mount them on the forward cross bar where the wire exits.

Thanks again for all your help.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
jafo9,

I think the Rev-10 may fit, but its going to be tight. You need to make a minor adjustment to the bimini though. The clamp is more centered on the pod and actually offset to the rear just a little bit. The hang height at the nose is about 12.5 with the fixed clamp. From the nose, the pod has a steady taper to the back. From the center of the clamp to the back end of the pod is about 7".

Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM
MC Fanatic

jafo9,
From the measurements that I took some time ago, and if I remember correctly, from the bottom of the tower tube to the bottom of the speakers here is what I have in the Wetsounds hang height:
Rev8 Fixed....10 5/16".
Rev8 Swivel....11 15/16".
Rev10 Fixed....12 5/16".
Rev10 Swivel....13 15/16".
And, as mentioned by Mike (MLA), the speaker pods begin to narrow at around mid pod.
While I don't have a complete perspective of your bimini from the photos you have to consider fully opened, fully closed, and the path or arc when opening/closing. Nothing unique about your situation.
As mentioned earlier, whether the speakers occupy the front or rear tube, transferring the harness in a concealed manner is not a big problem.

David
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Yes, there is a procedure for routing the harness into the opposing bar on most tubular towers in a concealed manner. But it's no picnic for the uninitiated.

David
Is that a process you'd be willing to share? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Is that a process you'd be willing to share? Thanks.
Last count, we have over 75 documented instructional procedures and illustrations. I'd bet we have that one. I'll see if I can dig it up.

David
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
MC Fanatic

so hopefully the weather will cooperate this week and i can get a chance to install the speakers. any tips on moving the speaker wires from the front tube to the back tube on my 02 tower? thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
Try a strong magnet and a string work back from the new location once the string appears at the original location tie the string and speaker wire together and pull through