Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Old block and saltwater (can't even think) - I would stay away...risers and manifolds relatively cheap... Agree with above -if the wind whips up... it will be a rough ride....
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
There are several sections of the Hillsborough River where you can ski. Also, you can put in on the river and ride to the bay, return upriver and have most of the salt water flushed. I would still flush and wash. This will also save your trailer. Just another option.

Even in the bay, it doesn't take too much to get waves bigger than what the MC will handle in comfort.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
Rtw-Travel where you from in alberta.. Ill be in Banff next weekend to so some skiing.

Maxpower .. any other places you can suggest i dont mind trailering just want to enjoy the boat and have fun..

Thanks everyone for their responses. but honestly curious about the indirect cooling and link anyone can send my way to read up on..
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
All you really need to do is go to a ocean resort that has a ski boat and see the damage that occurs in the short time they rotate those boats out. The last one I saw was in Marco Island. They had a Supra that I went out on. I thought the boat was 4 or 5 years old due to the condition of the seats and the metal fittings. Turns out it was the second season. Now granted their season are basically 12 months, this still seems like a short rough life for a boat. I don't care how MCOCD your are you're never going to rinse all that salt off the boat or get to all the areas salt water is going to seep.

As for the trailer..... Unless it's salt water by design kiss it goodbye in a short 2-3 years without constant maintenance.

When I'm looking for a boat I refuse to look at anything that's seen any salt water or brackish water. For that same reason I tend to stay away from any boats listed from cities near the ocean. Got enough to worry about with mechanical issues let alone corrosion.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
As many of you know, I used to have an 88 Platinum Prostar. I lived on a salt water river and used it there just about every weekend during the summer. I NEVER had an issue with salt water doing any damage to that boat. sure I sprayed it down at the dock when done with it for the day, and washed the hell out of it when it came time to put it back on the trailer. Trailer was a 'C' channel type, and had no brakes. After I launched the boat, I'd go back to my house and pull the trailer over a sprinkler and turn it on for a while. Yea, I repainted it once, maybe twice. Usually right before I would go to a MC Boat Owners reunion. Oh, and by the way, my saltwater platinum Prostar won 3 'Best of Show' awards at those reunions. So all you MCOCD fanatics out there, a saltwater skiboat doesn't have to be so harshly judged. I know the guy that just recently bought that particular boat and completely redid her. he told me there was NO hidden damage that would have been caused by salt water usage.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Rtw-Travel where you from in alberta.. Ill be in Banff next weekend to so some skiing.

Maxpower .. any other places you can suggest i dont mind trailering just want to enjoy the boat and have fun..

Thanks everyone for their responses. but honestly curious about the indirect cooling and link anyone can send my way to read up on..
Enjoy Banff - they need some snow, but the forecast looks sunny and warm for the next week. I'm in Calgary. We moved here from Vancouver two years ago, but we boat in Ontario on the Rideau at the family cottage.

I googled "fresh water cooling" for a PCM 351 and came up with this link - I don't know the quality of the supplier, so just look at it for information only. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK025009D

In a nutshell, the kit converts your engine to a closed loop cooling circuit. It is very similar to a car engine. The coolant (same as car coolant) gets circulated throughout the block using the existing engine water pump. Instead of a radiator, the hot coolant goes through a small small heat exchanger. One side of the heat exchanger is coolant, and the other side would be cold sea water (or lake water) that would be picked up using the boat's regular impeller. From the heat exchanger, the hot sea water is expelled through the exhaust, and the cold coolant goes back to the engine. You can see the heat exchanger in the photo of the parts for the PCM351 kit in the link. I am surprised at the low price as I would have expected something around $2000. I have obviously not done it on an MC, but on our old boat, it was not a mechanically difficult install. It can be quite awkward due to space limitations. The benefit to this system is that the block never sees anything other than coolant.

here's a picture of one installed in an engine. The heat exchanger is on the top right of the picture.
http://www.remanufactured.com/images...%20cooling.jpg

Another example
http://www.orcamarine.com/news.html#9 Oct 2006

Last edited by rtw_travel; 02-08-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added link to image
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
Nice info .. I wonder how much the orca system is in compared to the 1000$ system and the differences between them. But for a 1000$ i might be interested in it who knows.. I wonder if it will still fit under the engine cover?