Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Calling all X5 and 195 past and present owners!

I'm currently looking at a 00 X5, what can other X5 and 195 owners tell me about this boat? I know all about the hull being used for several models; 95-97 190, 98-00 Sportstar, 01-02 Skier 19, and 00-02 195/X5. What I'd like to hear is other owners opinions on everything from ski/wakeboard performance, handling, storage room, fuel economy, roominess, power. Is the open bow enough room for two adults or primarily designed for kids. Please any and all information that will help with my decision is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, SportStar, 99, 350 310HP TBI,
Search brings up allot of previous discussions.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=14622
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=49661
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=29236

I had a '99 SportStar CB, that skied great. Its a great hull, the higher sides are great if you want to keep kids in the boat.

Jamie
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Well, I have an '01 X5 sitting in my backyard waiting for spring so I can sell it. (We bought an '05 X2 last fall.)

We really enjoyed the X5. I have twin boys that are 12 now and it's the boat they learned to ski and wakeboard behind. I'm pretty much a purist skier, so I really liked the wake (or lack thereof.) Although it doesn't have the EVO hull it is still a ProStar -- what else can you say.

It handles like it's on rails. Fuel consumption? I guess it depends on what you compare it to. Less than my X2 (and most anything else that's newer) but just a bit more than the Stars & Stripes I learned to ski behind a couple of decades ago. Mine has the 310hp Predator. Hole shot like crazy and will top out at about 45 mph.

For beginner and intermediate wakeboarding the wake is fine. The stock 300lb rear ballast helps a bit; some people add another bag under the rear seat or in place of the rear seat. Space can be an issue if you want to take lots of people and lots of gear. That's one of the reasons we moved to the X2. We have: wakeboard, surfboard, slalom ski, junior pair, and a kneeboard. The boys sometimes like to bring a friend or two.

Also, with the pylon in front of the engine box it means no one can sit at the back when someone is skiing. The front will hold two adults although you have to play footsies a bit. The flip-down jumpseat makes it a bit of a pain to get to the bow -- I don't know why they didn't make the walk-thru at floor level.

All said though, depending on how much gear you plan to tote and how big/how many buddies you plan to haul around, it is a great top-of-the-line boat. I've already missed it a few times when we've been out in the X2.

Here are a couple of pics of mine. It's got about 450 hrs. Reupholstered rear seat, observer's seat, and bow seats. Subwoofer and amp. Heater. Recently replaced MMDC, steering cable and surge brake actuator. Etc. Etc.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJC View Post
Search brings up allot of previous discussions.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=14622
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=49661
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=29236

I had a '99 SportStar CB, that skied great. Its a great hull, the higher sides are great if you want to keep kids in the boat.

Jamie
Jamie, thanks for the links, I previously read two of the threads but the one in the middle was new and helpful. That's what I'm looking for, also hope other past or present owners will chime in on their experiences.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Well, I have an '01 X5 sitting in my backyard waiting for spring so I can sell it. (We bought an '05 X2 last fall.)

We really enjoyed the X5. I have twin boys that are 12 now and it's the boat they learned to ski and wakeboard behind. I'm pretty much a purist skier, so I really liked the wake (or lack thereof.) Although it doesn't have the EVO hull it is still a ProStar -- what else can you say.

It handles like it's on rails. Fuel consumption? I guess it depends on what you compare it to. Less than my X2 (and most anything else that's newer) but just a bit more than the Stars & Stripes I learned to ski behind a couple of decades ago. Mine has the 310hp Predator. Hole shot like crazy and will top out at about 45 mph.

For beginner and intermediate wakeboarding the wake is fine. The stock 300lb rear ballast helps a bit; some people add another bag under the rear seat or in place of the rear seat. Space can be an issue if you want to take lots of people and lots of gear. That's one of the reasons we moved to the X2. We have: wakeboard, surfboard, slalom ski, junior pair, and a kneeboard. The boys sometimes like to bring a friend or two.

Also, with the pylon in front of the engine box it means no one can sit at the back when someone is skiing. The front will hold two adults although you have to play footsies a bit. The flip-down jumpseat makes it a bit of a pain to get to the bow -- I don't know why they didn't make the walk-thru at floor level.

All said though, depending on how much gear you plan to tote and how big/how many buddies you plan to haul around, it is a great top-of-the-line boat. I've already missed it a few times when we've been out in the X2.

Here are a couple of pics of mine. It's got about 450 hrs. Reupholstered rear seat, observer's seat, and bow seats. Subwoofer and amp. Heater. Recently replaced MMDC, steering cable and surge brake actuator. Etc. Etc.
Wheelerd, thanks for the info and photos. Boat looks awesome and well cared for. I'm curious how many hours on your X5 and what will you be asking just to compare prices? Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Wheelerd, just noticed 450 hours on your X5.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
470 hours to be exact.

I'll probably price it around $17k. Our market up here in the great white north is not as plentiful as down south (for obvious reasons) so boat prices seem to be a bit higher. I drove all the to Tennessee to pick up my TriStar back in the day. (We made a family vacation trip out of it so that justified it, but the selection and price were so much better than here.)

In addition to the other upgrades I mentioned it also has a 2-yr old black Sunbrella cover, recent battery, all new ballast and bilge pumps, new left brake caliper, new tower speakers, new tower ski rack, new tower mirror.
So although it's a 12 year old boat, much of it is "new."

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by wheelerd; 02-08-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I had a 99 SS OB, basically the 195. It had the Predator motor. Mine had a 4 bladed prop and I felt it had great power. I did GPS verify it at 46-7 mph with just me in the boat. Overall solid boat and maybe my favorite boat that I've owned. The front seats are designed for kids. Yeah, you can get to adults up there, but it's not that big. Surprising storage under the front and in the rear.
After 7 years of ownership, I sold it for $1100 less than I paid. I sold it because I wanted a tower and cruise. The trailer needed some work, so I found that I could sell it and buy a newer boat with those items for just a little more money.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X-Star. Previous: '98 SportStar, '89 ProStar
I've got a '98 SportStar closed bow. We love it. Great ski wake. Put a little weight in the back end and you've got a decent wakeboard wake. Lots of storage underneath the bow but obviously we lose out on extra seating. Boat is great with 4-6 people. Though it's rated for 8, it's not realistic.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: PS195,2000.5.7L
we have a 2000 PS 195 and are very pleased, we all ski and my sons barefoot.
as far as fuel economy i think it can't be beat, better than my old 4 winns with an outboard.
front will hold 2 adults with legs stretched out, those seats are awesome when you are up on plane. we have about 475 hours on ours and do all our own work and maintenance, have had starter rebuilt and changed steering cable last summer, other than that just fluids, filters every year, plugs and wires every other.
our boat is the focal point for most of our activities all summer at the cottage.
as long as previous owners looked after the boat you are considering you will not regret pulling the trigger.
cheers

Tags
195, open bow, wakeboard, x-5