Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
^ This is what I don't understand.... It is a 6 year old boat!! Do you think ford would replace a control arm on a 2007 F150 just because it only had 10k miles on it???
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
I get we'll all have different opinions on this, but the last I checked, an F-150 cost about $30,000-$40,000 or so and rarely does a new X-anything sell for less than $80,000 - $120,000. So now we're into comparing the boat to 7 series BMWs and Mercedes, both of which have standard 4-year 50,000 mile warranties. For a major failure though, most companies do consider mileage in the event one is close on warranty.

Certainly, none of us can say with certainty that it was either a failure due to the owner's neglect/accident, or failure caused by a manufacturer's defect. Some will say the boat is out of warranty, too bad. If a brand wants to promote themselves as the leader and charge a premium for their product, my belief is their customer service should be above and beyond as well.

100 hours is the equivalent of about 2,500 - 4,000 miles...yes, I do believe overall condition of the boat comes into play.

As is the case with any consumer product, expect less and you'll get less. As a rather loyal fan base, demand more and you just might get it...or you'll take your business to a product line that does deliver more.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
$1700 sounds premium for the repair parts but how much did the Canadian factor come into play?
Shipping is significant as were duties and taxes most likely.

For metal tube to fail like that indicates some kind of metallurgical weakness or weakening. Granted, I have never studied tower failures but in the same token, you just dont hear of towers breaking across the tube. Tube bending or tearing out of the mounts seem much more likely than a shear crack from general towing or tow abuse.

Tough situation for the OP. I can understand MC position especially if there was good faith to replace the tower parts at a minimum manufacturing cost.
Glad it is repaired and hope you can get more years of enjoyment.

Looking back at the old thread, one thing that I did not see considered was the effect of small oscillations over time creating a sufficient fatigue at a weak point? The crack appears at a potential stress point where there was reinforcement, a weld and what appears to be a hole on the opposite side.

I propose, even though the boat was only used 100 hrs over 5 years, the cumulative time of the boat sitting on the pole lift exposed to wind and wave action may have been able to create subitle flexing that over time, weakened the tube/joint. This could be a very unique set of circumstances due to; duration, type of lift, method of lift installation and even regular wave/wind action where the tower was allowed to oscillate at a weakening frequency.
Aluminum is known to be light and strong but also brittle.

I have a pontoon with rigid aluminum top. After a rough storm, I arrived to find the top partially collapsed. Upon inspection, I found four welds had failed allowing the top to fold. Looking closer, the other 4 points had already been bolted due to the welds breaking. When the wind blows out of the north, our end tie is unprotected and waves are allowed to come straight at the end of the dock, hitting the pontoon broadside and rocking it significantly. Since it is an end tie, only one side is tied off allowing the other side to bob greater than if it was tied into a slip.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
......For metal tube to fail like that indicates some kind of metallurgical weakness or weakening........
HAZ and undercut.......

The weld didn't fail. I suspect a weld-induced defect of undercut into the material in a HAZ. Stress point / cyclic failure....

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
That really stinks. The little I have dealt with my local dealer, I have been pleased. Granted, I have not had an issue like this before and hopefully never will. I am, however taking my tower next week over to the manufacturer so he can add tower breaks so I can park it in my garage without having to completely remove the top portion. He is only charging me $250, which I though was very reasonable. The hardest part for me is to transport it 3.5 hours there and another 3.5 hrs back home.

When I worked at CC, I saw them take some boats that were well out of warranty and fix them for the customer under a warranty claim just to keep the customer happy. They absolutely did not have to do that, but that is also the kind of thing that will keep a customer coming back. I saw a 5 yr old SN that I thought was a new boat. As it turns out, the customer had returned it a couple times bc they were super picky so they just ran the boat through the works so the customer could not bring up anything else I found out after the fact that it was not a new boat bc it looked that good.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
There's a big 'ol grommet and wire sticking out the other side of the tube where the crack dis-appears around the top - we didn't get a backside photo. Seems like that hole and any potential problems with corrosion or stress around that would be a significant contributing factor given its right in the fracture line?