Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
Front Hitch?

Hello,
I searched high and low to find an anwer, but to no avail.

Bought a new house at the end of December, and finally had time to build a large side gate (12'), and should start having the brick pavers installed this weekend depending on the weather. My problem is that along the front of the house I have several obsticals to jog around. I have a block wall on the property line shared with my neighbor, immediately next to my gate. I also have a power pole directly in front of the house, fire hydrant and a palm tree to dodge. I can take out the palm but my wife would hate me more than usual.

I've ran across several possibilities from buying a lawn tractor with hitch, to buying a shorter wheelbase junker (Jeep or similar) to move the trailer (last resort). Does a front hitch help any? I pride myself in being well skilled at backing. However when building the gate and bringing material over there for the fence and bricks I have noticed it's more difficuly than I thought it would be. Does the front hitch allow more articulation in smaller spaces? Logic would seem to tell me yes, but that isn't always true in the real world.

A power caster is out of the question. I have too many changing surfaces right now from soil, concrete curbs, large river rocks and transitioning to the brick pavers.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
This is what ya need, but you could probably pick up a cheap garden tractor cheaper.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Front hitch would definitely give you better control through tight places. But hell, if you can afford to get a little jeep... do it! They're fun off the pavement as an added bonus
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
Yes - having the trailer pivot point close to the steering axle makes a big difference. You can spin the trailer on it's own axis very quickly but it will also jack knife quickly. Small corrections is an understatement. I have a front receiver hitch on my truck and works very well moving a trailer in very tight spaces.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Okay I'm going to pick up the front hitch this week. 20-45min install time... I should know the outcome fairly quickly. At the very least, she can see how hard I am trying :-)

Might be picking up a new boat this weekend, need to get this figured out!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
I can't believe everyone is passing up the obvious "this is what you need" jokes with the attractive woman in the pic
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmaus View Post
I can't believe everyone is passing up the obvious "this is what you need" jokes with the attractive woman in the pic
I already have my hands full with the one I have, two would bankrupt me!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmaus View Post
Agreed. I didn't even notice that other thing attached to the trailer. She should go in the swimsuit thread.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
I have the same problem where i live so I had a hitch put on the front of my truck. I love the manueverability, however even after buying the biggest drop hitch I could find, i still have clearance problems with the prop guard. I have a 1998 PS 190 and a stock height F350. This is the only problem that I have had and I only have it when backing in my Mastercraft due to the low clearance in the back. I tried using my JD 316 and although there is plenty of power, if you get on any incline whatsoever its fairly easy to lose control. I was at a marina the other day and saw them using a small forklift which seemed to work really well.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Tango II View Post
I have the same problem where i live so I had a hitch put on the front of my truck. I love the manueverability, however even after buying the biggest drop hitch I could find, i still have clearance problems with the prop guard. I have a 1998 PS 190 and a stock height F350. This is the only problem that I have had and I only have it when backing in my Mastercraft due to the low clearance in the back. I tried using my JD 316 and although there is plenty of power, if you get on any incline whatsoever its fairly easy to lose control. I was at a marina the other day and saw them using a small forklift which seemed to work really well.
Since you are obviously not going far or fast with the boat attached to the front, why not make (or have a local welding shop) a drop hitch to fit?

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com