Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockIV View Post
is the surf tab worth the extra money? thanks
I've never used them but from what I've read they are not worth the $1500.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockIV View Post
is the surf tab worth the extra money? thanks
I know you didn't ask me, but save your time and money, trim tabs won't increase the displacement of the hull, so the impact on the wake is minimal.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 AM

Posted this in the wrong thread yesterday while I was at the lake.

It's my new custom swim step. I cut it out of a 3x5x.75 6061 sheet of aluminum. Had it out for testing yesterday and now just need to top it off with some seadec.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu
Looks great Tim, was it out of the way?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason@wakemakers.com View Post
Looks great Tim, was it out of the way?
Hey Jason,

It is completely out of the water at surf speed. I've got the best of both worlds now, a big swim step for loading and unloading and it doesn't mess of the wave!
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
looks great. since i thread jacked the wtb x30 thread with my question, i will throw it over here.

i have a pair of extra brackets if got from mc x15 who lost his boat in hurricane sandy, i am planning on making a surf platform. do you think plywood would be okay for my trial and if it works make one out of teak.

thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
looks great. since i thread jacked the wtb x30 thread with my question, i will throw it over here.

i have a pair of extra brackets if got from mc x15 who lost his boat in hurricane sandy, i am planning on making a surf platform. do you think plywood would be okay for my trial and if it works make one out of teak.

thanks.
Sure you can. I did the same thing but with 1x5 pressure treated wood. Just be careful of splinters and you should be fine.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Sure you can. I did the same thing but with 1x5 pressure treated wood. Just be careful of splinters and you should be fine.
What is the most important factor in the surf platform-size (narrower so weighted edge of platform doesn't cut into wave) or raising the entire platform higher out of the water? Looking at making a surf platform before the summer and was wondering what your feelings are.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
What is the most important factor in the surf platform-size (narrower so weighted edge of platform doesn't cut into wave) or raising the entire platform higher out of the water? Looking at making a surf platform before the summer and was wondering what your feelings are.
The purpose of altering the platform is to keep it from messing up the water coming off the surf side of the boat. If doing that by raising up the platform I think you would have to raise so high it would be kind of funny looking.

I went with making the platform as large as possible without it touching the water while at surf speed. This meant narrowing it as well as shortening it up a bit. I tested a few different sizes to make sure I had it as large as possible but made sure it was out of the water while surfing.

By far this was the most important part of getting a clean wave off of the boat. With the platform in the water I was getting that double lip you see on a lot of boats. It also impacted the over push of the wave.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
The purpose of altering the platform is to keep it from messing up the water coming off the surf side of the boat. If doing that by raising up the platform I think you would have to raise so high it would be kind of funny looking.

I went with making the platform as large as possible without it touching the water while at surf speed. This meant narrowing it as well as shortening it up a bit. I tested a few different sizes to make sure I had it as large as possible but made sure it was out of the water while surfing.

By far this was the most important part of getting a clean wave off of the boat. With the platform in the water I was getting that double lip you see on a lot of boats. It also impacted the over push of the wave.
I picked up a second teak platform last week that I plan on resizing to help with the surf wake. The width of the platform ended up being about 6" less (3" on each side) on the transom side of the platform than the platform that came on my boat. I've got some brackets coming and I have to add a support piece to the bottom for my FAE, but it will at least get me going in the right direction.