Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjaster View Post
What does the mineral spirits do? I hadn't heard of using that.
Not an expert on wood refinishing, but have used mineral spirits and 00steel wool to sand for a final finish on hardwood planks to bring the grain out. the old timer told me it cleans the fine dust from the grain. Looked good to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Hey all,
Still looking for anyone out west who might be interested in swapping their teak platform for my black fiberglass - '06 X30. Any interest or leads, let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Well I think I've messed up re oiling my platform.. It seems really dark compared to y'all's.. Maybe I havnt put enough coats on it yet..
Before (after cleaning)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360071524.202799.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  76.2 KB

Wet 1st coat Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360071568.714811.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  131.0 KB

After drying on the 4th coat
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360071596.414736.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  65.8 KB

Sorry the last pic isn't in good light.. It wasn't very light out this morning yet.. Should I keep sanding and applying more or do I have something wrong?

I'm using sunny side pure raw linseed oil and mineral sprits mixed 75x25 and applying heavy coats and wiping off 30 minutes later with a few days in between coats.

Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Mine turned out very similar in color. I am also at 4 coats.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Here is mine after the Starbrite 3 Step Method. I think I was at 15 coats of oil and stopped.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1360074971
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Mine just seems very dark. I'll keep going and it'll either get Better or worse

Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
I did 150 then 220 grit sanding and one very heavy coat of Starbright Gold. It looks good, drying a little more in some places than others, but it looks fair to this point. Some say "wetsand" with 400 grit before another coat. Some say clean with mineral spirits and 00 Steel Woo before next coat. I am thinking about putting another coat of Starbright with the Steel Wool as an applicator? Any thoughts on why this is a good or bad idea?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Mine just seems very dark. I'll keep going and it'll either get Better or worse
Tapatalk
I only sanded the end grains, not top or bottom. Didn't want it TOOOOO smooth as kids would slide off as happened on our Ski Nautique. Won't happen on the MC. Don't get me wrong it is not rough, just not like glass. If you keep going with more oil, chances are it will get even darker. I let mine dry for several days and before the last three applications, I only added a light coat of oil where the wood turned to a slight ashy color. Eventually it will be uniform all over.
Hope that works for you as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Not saying you guys are doing anything incorrect, but I have had best results with linseed oil and mineral spirits (combined). Teak oil and other mentioned products have given me darker results over the years. This last time around in 2012, I used the linseed oil mixture and I'll not go back to teak oil or other.

Took me two coats and my board looks primo....

Your boards look fine and the teak and Starbright will weak down in a few months of lake use, so consider the aforementioned concoction.

If you're not 100% satisfied, I'd consider stopping where you are and use the board until it needs another treatment, then try the linseed oil/mineral spirits. Several folks here have the same or similar testimony of which I speak.

I'm not sure what sanding gets you but it's not my board to say. Most of these slicky-boy finishes are for show and IMHO, not practical for use, but that's me. I like functionality. I pressure wash my board once a year, no sanding.

$0.02

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Not saying you guys are doing anything incorrect, but I have had best results with linseed oil and mineral spirits (combined). Teak oil and other mentioned products have given me darker results over the years. This last time around in 2012, I used the linseed oil mixture and I'll not go back to teak oil or other.

Took me two coats and my board looks primo....

Your boards look fine and the teak and Starbright will weak down in a few months of lake use, so consider the aforementioned concoction.

If you're not 100% satisfied, I'd consider stopping where you are and use the board until it needs another treatment, then try the linseed oil/mineral spirits. Several folks here have the same or similar testimony of which I speak.

I'm not sure what sanding gets you but it's not my board to say. Most of these slicky-boy finishes are for show and IMHO, not practical for use, but that's me. I like functionality. I pressure wash my board once a year, no sanding.

$0.02

I'm always open to ideas especially when it's cost effective. That's why we are here on TT.
The Starbright method is the first I tried and it worked, but it does cost about $18.00 for each of the three steps. What are the proportions of your mixture? My Nautique lasted two years without a reapplication; on a lift under a conopy. So the next time I would try the linseed oil/mineral spirits mixture and see how that works in Wisconsin.